ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone do upper/lower?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:55 am 

Anyone here do an upper/lower split? I have been trying to do Max-OT of late, but since the birth of my son I'm struggling to get to the gym three times a week. So when I miss a session, it can be 1.5-2 weeks before that day of the 3 day split gets worked again.

So I'm thinking of changing to upper/lower, that way if I only make it to the gym twice in a week, it won't have so much of an effect.

I'm just interested to see what others do for upper/lower.

Btw, I did full body workouts for a long time and was plateauing. As soon as I switched to the 3 day split I started making progress again. So I want to stick with a split for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 am 

If I were to do one, it would look something like this.

Upper:

Flat BB Bench 5 x 5-8
DB Rows 5 x 5-8
DB Shoulder Press 5 x 5-8
Pullups 5 x 5-8
Incline Flys 2x10
Rear Delt Reverse Flys 2x10
Lateral Raises 2x10

Lower 1:

Squats 5 x 5-8
GHR 5 x 5-8
Single-Leg Leg Presses (One leg at a time) 5 x 5-8
Leg Curls 5 x 5-8

Lower 2:

Deadlifts 5 x 5-8
Leg Extensions 5 x 5-8
GHR 5 x 5-8
Single-Leg Leg Presses 5 x 5-8

Rotate Lower 1/2 each week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 am 

Also, that volume might be high for some people. If so, just simply drop 1-2 sets from each exercise and you should be golden.

Keep in mind, I'm a bodybuilder, I lift for physique mainly - but love getting stronger.

And I might be missing some things, who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Han wrote:
Anyone here do an upper/lower split?

I have, although because of my schedule (3 lifting days a week, but only 2 days at my gym) we've gone full-body instead. That seems to work better for me.

But U/L isn't bad at all, it's one of the splits I really like. Even my "full body" workout is Monday Full/Thursday Full/Saturday Lower, so I have an extra day to really work on my legs.

Han wrote:
So I'm thinking of changing to upper/lower, that way if I only make it to the gym twice in a week, it won't have so much of an effect.

There are a lot of ways to organize it - check out WS4SB (original, or Part III's Washed Up Meatheads 3-day split) or 5/3/1 (which has a 3-day a week approach, with ABCD workouts). What you can do also is just organize a cycle, and it takes how long it takes. For example:

Workout A: Upper
Workout B: Lower
Workout C: Upper
Workout D: Lower

or Workout A: Upper Max effort
Workout B: Lower Max effort
Workout C: Upper repetition effort (do a full-body day if you want one of them).

Then just do the next workout the next time you make it to the gym. Don't say Monday is ME Upper, and if you miss Monday, that's that for the week. Miss Monday, but go Wednesday? Just do workout A on Wednesday. Just make it a "to do list"

A
B
C
D
A
B
C
D
etc.

and do the next one in line when you get to the gym. Consider missed days just a short bit of extra recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Pete and Doc have already answered iwith good depth. Just to add a bit more, I think U/L is a good way to go when you hae plateaued out on a beginner's full body, which you apparently have. Pete and Doc gave great examples. HEre's how I would do it, with a focus on movements rather than body parts.
A. upper vertical push/pull
B Lower, Quad dominant
C. Upper horizontal push/pull
D. Lower hip/ham dominant
A is similar to C, and likewise B is similar but not the same as D, so everything is getting worked, with lots of carry over
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:35 pm 

I think the others have already answered the exercises pretty thoroughly, so I will just go with my own experience. I seem to make the most mass gains on an upper lower split, but the biggest fat lost gains on full body workouts. So for me it really depends on what I'm going for I guess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I am at the gym 6 days a week and do a lower/upper split. Probably very time inefficient, but I liked it and grew and burned calories.

In your situation, would go to whole body. I don't think it will hurt on the weeks where you get 3 days in and on the weeks you don't, you will at least hit each body part twice in the week.

Oh...and I know this is easier said than done and that I have no life, no wife...but try to get a regular routine (whatever split you do) and get in the gym whenever you are supposed to. Some married guys do morning lifts as the only time they can carve out that is sacrosanct. I hate the thought of that...like relaxing, not working after a lift. But it's an idea. I'm single so evening lifts help keep me out of the bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys. More or less along the lines of what I was thinking. I'll probably go with something along the lines of TimDs post.

TimD - I'd be interested in what you'd suggest for a hip dominant workout? I've only really done deads and single leg deads as part of a full body workout in the past - what would you do for a dedicated hip dominant day?

TCO - I hear what you're saying about full bodies, but I did them for ages, and had stalled on pretty much everything after a few resets. As soon as I switched to the three day split for Max-OT, I started setting new PBs for everything. I'd stay with that, but it's frustrating me when I miss a workout and then everything goes back half a week. I'd rather make sure everything is worked out at least once a week with a two day split, and if I get a third day in, all the better.

Oh and it's not so much that I couldn't get to the gym three times a week if I really wanted to, it's more that priorities have changed and I'd rather spend time with my son (and give my wife a break) on weekends when I'd previously have been working out! I think I need to get a bench for home and maybe do an active recovery type day on weekends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:32 pm 

Here's my current split, doing 5/3/1

Upper
Press
Chins
*Pushup
*Face pulls

Lower
Deadlift
GHR
TGU

Upper
Bench heavy
*Bench light
*DB Row

Lower
Squat
*Good morning
*Planks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:35 pm 

Here's my current split, doing 5/3/1

Upper
Press
Chins
*Pushup
*Face pulls

Lower
Deadlift
GHR
TGU

Upper
Bench heavy
*Bench light
*DB Row

Lower
Squat
*Good morning
*Planks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:27 am 

http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocit ... ar_5x5.htm

I still think this program is amazing for a full-body 3 day split. If I only had 3 days in the gym, this would be it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 am 

I think if you want to only workout twice per week, you should keep your reps very low in order to build strength each time you lift. If you want to workout in the 8 reps and more rep range, it requires you to workout more than once per week on that movement/muscle in order to gain muscle/strength according to the url someone posted in another thread about rest. http://drsquat.com/content/knowledge-ba ... ning-split

I want to start this program next week and try it from this article eric cressey just recently posted on t-nation to build both muscle and strength. He works on baseball players and I am a softball player, so this should help me as well. http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... h_program_ this one requires monday full body, wendesday lower body, thursday upper body, saturday full body

By the way, there was an article posted on t-nation in december regarding "10 killer splits" http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... ler_splits it tells you different split options you can do in the gym

Check out all 3 URL's and pick the split you feel that may help you reach your goal. Base it all on the first URL about the rest periods because rest is very important when building muscle, strength, and endurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:14 am 

Han- By hip/ham dominant I mean the Focus lift of the day would focus on that. Best exercise I can think of would be DL's. For Quad dominant, make the focus lift Squats. As to the follow-ons/assistance, it really doesn't matter. Make a list of a couple, and split them upChoose from leg curls, some type of good morning/SLDL/RDL, any of the variety of lunges or step ups, front squats and kneeling squats.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:44 am 

I currently perform a 4 day split. I keep it pretty simple.

Upper 1 - Bench, Pullups
Lower 1 - Squats
Upper 2 - Press, Rows
Lower 2 - Deadlifts

I also had some supplemental work in as i choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 pm 

Thanks TimD, that makes sense then. I thought you were advocating doing "only" hip dominant on one day, and only quad on the other day. But sounds like in effect it'll be splitting big squats and deads on to different days, and working on whatever other assistance exercises as required.