ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadlift form.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:29 am 

Here's my recent 200kg deadlift PR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPq08py4qzw

Any tips or advice on my form be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:36 am 

It looked good to me, though I couldn't really see your back very well from this angle. That's probably the most important form element on this lift. If you keep a good arch, you almost can't go wrong. Your scapulae should be over the bar, and the center of your foot should be directly under it, but that's where they will be anyway, as soon as you get the bar off the floor.

It's also probably not fair to judge form on a maximal, or near-max lift. Form tends to get shaky as we get near our limit. A better example would probably be an 80- or 85% lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:42 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

The only thing that seemed like a problem was that final hitch up on the weight. Since the camara doesn't let us see your back at that point, my only concern was that maybe you are getting the lockout with some spinal movement.

If not, I think that was a pretty good lift. I'm jealous. 200kg is like 65-70 kg more than I've ever budged and I weight about what you do. :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:45 am 

Yeah, I meant to say about the same thing. You're lifting what is my life-time goal for this lift. So your form must be better than mine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:19 pm 

That looked nice and safe to me, and I thought I was happy getting to 100kg! I suppose I'm training for mass rather than strength so I'm lifting at least 8 reps... this talk is good for my ego! Anyway, I'd be very happy with that form for 200kg and your weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:44 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Looks good to me. (very) slight lower back rounding if anything.

I also think you take far too long to set up. If you were quicker at getting down and ripping up, you'd easily smash more than 200Kg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:35 pm 

Thanks for the comments.

Doc, you're right, i'll post a video with some lower weights and with more of an angle to see what the mechanics of my back is like. A 1RM isn't really going to be the best 'technical' lift, but that's really all i film at the moment.

Pete, i was aware something 'different' was happening on my right side but i wasn't quite sure what it was. I'd never experienced it before.

Rik, unfortunately i am a bit of a 'fidgeter' (if that is a word, if not i'm claiming it anyhow), i'd tried 200kgs a few weeks ago but menatlly failed it before i'd even got to the bar. All i could think was 'f**k, this is going to be heavy', i didn't even get off off the floor. This time i had to get those thoughts out my head. I'd lifted 195kgs just before this lift, but somehow 200kgs was more of a mental barrier. I'll work on my fidgetyness though.

Nevage, thanks. I decided to go for it with some heavy deadlifts over the last few months, just because i can. If i fail i drop it, no harm done. Squats and Bench Press i can't have the same attitude with as i mostly train alone. As a result i've put 40kgs on my deadlift in about four months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 am 

Great work getting 200kg up!

I agree with what's been said and especially that it's a bit unfair to be too critical of 1RM form (FWIW I thought that was a pretty 'clean' 1RM).

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Awesome work!

My 1RM is maybe 130 right now, but unfortunately, it's my grip that fails before anything else.

Now that you're over that 200 kg mental barrier, there's no reason you can't keep on gaining. ;)