ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:17 pm 
former lurker

can someone help me out with a routine for strictly gaining mass. im focused primarily on mass, not strength.

im an intermediate lifter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am 

The best routine for gaining mass?

Put food on plate, a lot of food
shovel food in mouth
repeat many times throughout the day...
When not eating, lift very heavy weights many times
When not eating or lifting, sleep
Repeat

Honestly though, from what I gather, and I could be wrong, you need to get stronger in every lift in the 5+ rep range, and eat your butt off.

Regardless if it's a split or TBT or whatever, keep progressing in the 5+ rep range and eat a lot of food. Don't be afraid of some fat gain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You just need more volume and possibly some higher rep ranges at times. Shorter rest periods for the most part. Going heavy works the best for me. Doing 25 total reps between 5 sets, while lifting as fast as possible is another good protocol. Increased frequency is good too. I kind of like basing a workout on a press/row/squat day and a incline/chin/deadlift day. Then you sprinkle in assistance work here and there. Or you can do upper/lower maybe. Than you eat a lot, with lots of protein.

Post subject: muscle build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:26 pm 
former lurker

Research has shown that 6-12 reps is optimal for building muscle. Failing between here is better than reaching a number if you have no medical conditions. Compound exercises builds muscle quicker than issolation (issolation does have its place if you want to focus more on an area or sport specific). A split routine is better for advanced exercisers as the muscles have more time to adapt and a greater amount of training can be completed on the area. Having a balanced routine is key ie not doing the typical chest chest chest workout. 45 minutes is considered optimal for hormone stimulation. Not all that is involved in finding the most effective training can be summed up in a few hundred words seek out a respected personal trainer. don't take advice from some guy on the net it aint guess work!!! There's a lot of bad info out there acsm know there stuff only an idiot would discredit the worlds leading sport science organisation. Also don't forget cardio, Flexibility and core work it will compliment weight training and give health benefits. Enjoy your training. Question Why eat creatine when c.p interval training will increase the rate creatine can be replenished and increase the amount the body can store. IMPORTANT DON'T TAKE NOTICE OF SOME MEATHEAD GET PROFESSIONAL HELP IT IS A SCIENCE. TECHNIQUE AND BEING PROGRESSED APPROPIATELY ARE VITAL ISSUES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:17 pm 

Wow. That pretty much covers everything that's been said on this forum in the last month.

Which of us are you calling meatheads? And, since we have ASCM, we need not think for ourselves? Whew, what a relief--thinking for myself is a lot of work, and I'm so relieved that I don't have to do it anymore.

Since we are not to take the advice of "some guy on the net" I'm supposing that we shouldn't listen to you either, since you are "some guy on the net."

And yeah, it's a science, but I'm not so sure that a person who doesn't have a grasp of basic English syntax and grammar can read the scientific literature with any degree of understanding, or interpret it to others.

Sheesh! Lurk a little before you try to say everything you know in one post.

Post subject: Re: muscle build
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:36 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

fitnessguru wrote:
Research has shown that 6-12 reps is optimal for building muscle. Failing between here is better than reaching a number if you have no medical conditions. Compound exercises builds muscle quicker than issolation (issolation does have its place if you want to focus more on an area or sport specific). A split routine is better for advanced exercisers as the muscles have more time to adapt and a greater amount of training can be completed on the area. Having a balanced routine is key ie not doing the typical chest chest chest workout. 45 minutes is considered optimal for hormone stimulation. Not all that is involved in finding the most effective training can be summed up in a few hundred words seek out a respected personal trainer. don't take advice from some guy on the net it aint guess work!!! There's a lot of bad info out there acsm know there stuff only an idiot would discredit the worlds leading sport science organisation. Also don't forget cardio, Flexibility and core work it will compliment weight training and give health benefits. Enjoy your training. Question Why eat creatine when c.p interval training will increase the rate creatine can be replenished and increase the amount the body can store. IMPORTANT DON'T TAKE NOTICE OF SOME MEATHEAD GET PROFESSIONAL HELP IT IS A SCIENCE. TECHNIQUE AND BEING PROGRESSED APPROPIATELY ARE VITAL ISSUES.

God you can barely spell, let alone form a decent paragraph of information to help this person out. Take your childish name calling back to preschool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:39 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

And for the original author of this thread -- http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_training

That does build some strength to allow you to support heavier isolation exercises in the program. Otherwise try search german volume training / GVT. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:17 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I kind of like being called a meat head.... Just saying...

Apparently when my hair has been freshly cut, I look like a 'meat head'. I like to emphasise the look by sporting either a "Testosterone" T-shirt, or a Westside Barbell T-shirt - The dog chained to the barbell really gets the point across.

* thumps chest repeatedly * (cause that's what meat heads do)

:grin:

Anyway, It would be usefull to know what the OP's training has been like the last few months? High reps? Low reps? What split have you been using? These things largely depend on what you've already been doing...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:17 am 

"seek out a respected personal trainer. don't take advice from some guy on the net it aint guess work!!!" - fitnessguru

Of all the trainers I've met over the years, only one or two actally knew what they were talking about. I think you're assuming an aweful lot if you expect all trainers to know and adhere to the ASCM guidelines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:43 am 

I need a cut-and-paste reply for these that boils down to:

1) read the sticky of beginner's routines.

2) Do something from there. If you are...

...a beginner, pick one of the starting routines. The Mahler routine, Starting Strength, WS4SB, etc.

...an intermediate lifter, go for the Madcow 5x5 or Bryce Lane's "Have it All" workout, or look into the Texas Method. Or pick one of the beginning routines anyway - WS4SB is aimed at all levels, for example, more advanced lifters just use more advanced lift variations.

3) Get a good diet and stick to it, with a caloric surplus. If you're not sure what a good diet is, ask on the Nutrition boards. When in doubt, eat some more protein.

4) Get your sleep. You grow when you rest, especially when you're sleeping.

And that's about it. I suspect that most "intermediate" lifters are actually "beginners" who lifted for a while with a mediocre program and stalled out. I can't say if the OP fits into that or not, he's new here and hasn't given any indication. But generally, the really intermediate guys have a more specific question than "what's a good mass program." The answer is almost always "Any program that has you lifting heavy weights often, sleeping a lot, and eating lots of quality food."

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

fitnessguru wrote:

Wow, that's worthy of the wall of shame.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
IMPORTANT DON'T TAKE NOTICE OF SOME MEATHEAD GET PROFESSIONAL HELP IT IS A SCIENCE.

try to watch carefully what you said,it looks like your mental level is like 5years old.

君は本当にくそだよ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:56 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Thanks for the bump. I needed a chuckle.

Yes, whatever you do, don't listen to someone who appears they know what they are doing. This is some advice that I am going to apply in my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

?^^^SPAM^^^?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 pm 

Hahaha I wish i wasn't so drunk so I could join in the fun, what a ridiculous comment! At least get the feel for a board before you make a first post like that!