ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:56 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I came across this article in The New Scientist web site. There's not much to the article in terms of information, but it draws an interesting conclusion:

Quote:
So what is the maximum weight a human could ever lift? Todd Schroeder at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles thinks we are already close to the maximum. "If you look over time at the records for maximal lifts, they have crept up but are starting to plateau," he says. "Today's weightlifters, including those that use steroids, are near the limit of human potential."

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:10 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'd like to see the graph - certainly could be, at least until we start doing genetic engineering in earnest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:20 am 

They say that about a lot of sports. Sprinting seemed to slow down until some guy named Usain Bolt came along. Powerlifting is confounded by changes in equipment and doping but I'm sure some genetic freak will come along from time to time and blow away current records.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_100_metres_world_record_progression"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I wonder how fast and strong our ancestors were.

look at those sprinters, so jacked compared to those marathon runners... ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:22 pm 

stuward wrote:
but I'm sure some genetic freak will come along from time to time and blow away current records.

This is how I feel. But then again I'm a dreamer and a optimist.

Great topic.

I feel like humans will continue to push the limits, and while the records make increase super slow, we will find a way to break them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

stuward wrote:
They say that about a lot of sports. Sprinting seemed to slow down until some guy named Usain Bolt came along. Powerlifting is confounded by changes in equipment and doping but I'm sure some genetic freak will come along from time to time and blow away current records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_100_ ... rogression

The mile run shows asimilar progression, although most international races now use the somewhat shorter 1500 meter distance. Prior to 1954, some people believed that human beings were incapable of running a mile in less than 4 minutes. Now it is done routinely by top college runners, even though the world record is 3:43.13.

frogbyte wrote:
I'd like to see the graph - certainly could be, at least until we start doing genetic engineering in earnest.

I haven't been able to find a graph for records in a lift similar to that of the running events. They must exist, however.

Doug Hepburn was the first man to bench press 500 pounds, and Vasily Alexeev was the first man to lift 500 pounds overhead. Both of these records have been eclipsed, although Hepburn benched raw and didn't use modern techniques.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 pm 

I keep hoping that I turn out to be a genetic freak, but hopes are slowly fading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 am 

It varies person to person, we don't know exactly. All we can do is predict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think we'll keep getting stronger.

I think so because, we still don't know all that much about the body, the CNS, etc. As we learn more and also experience more, I think we'll keep getting stronger.

Also consider freakish feats of strength such as average every day untrained people being able to lift cars off of people. How does things like this happen? I've read theories that it's adrenalin. I don't really know but I just think it's clear that there's loads more to learn. Considering this, I would say there's also loads more to lift :smile:

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I think people will just continue to get stronger. Take deadlift for example. It wasn't till the 1970's (I think, don't have time for research) that someone finally pulled over 900. Now many of the men you see at World's Strongest Man have 900+ Deadlifts. Wouldn't be suprised to see at least one of them pull over 1k in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:10 am 

Somewhat related - Do you guys know Andy Bolton issued a challenge to have a deadlift meet to see who was the strongest? Obviously he's pulled the most in competition but there's always talk here and there that others are stronger.

I follow it here,

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-2011- ... 1404520463

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:03 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yep. That's actually what I was refering to when I said "Near future" I think the competitors are going to be Bolton, Poundstone, Pudz, Konstantinov, Hollands, Magnussen, Savikas not sure of others. All of which are pulling 900+. Interestingly, Kevin Nee was left off the list. Not sure why. He has pulled over 9 a couple of times in competition that I can recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 am 

It's exciting to see guys like Kevin Nee and Mike Tuchscherer who are exceptionally strong at a young age. If the don't get injured, they'll be setting records in a few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

I don't know how sound this theory is but I wanted to put it out there. It's possible that the people who set records or are the best at their particular sport are not geneticly the best at their pursuit of choice. Like what if the person who could be the greatest squater is playing football where having an absolute strength is not necessary and actually may inhibit them. The same goes for the strong men some may be great at football, basketball or olymipic throwing but choose to pursue strength competition.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:42 pm 

MrWonderful wrote:
I don't know how sound this theory is but I wanted to put it out there. It's possible that the people who set records or are the best at their particular sport are not geneticly the best at their pursuit of choice. Like what if the person who could be the greatest squater is playing football where having an absolute strength is not necessary and actually may inhibit them. The same goes for the strong men some may be great at football, basketball or olymipic throwing but choose to pursue strength competition.

Just a thought.

i think that's a really good point