ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 am 

or is it bull$h1t?

i guess i'm what you would consider an endomorph. i'm 6'6", 338lbs. very large bones and frame, oval face, big thighs, always been a natural athlete with some muscle on me. very easy for me to get fat but not as easy to lose the pounds. from what i have been reading, i fit the stereotypical endo.

i came across two different programs...

Monday - Legs, lower back
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Chest, triceps - HIIT cardio after the workout or spaced a couple hours away from workout
Thursday - Back, biceps, traps - HIIT after workout or spaced a couple of hours from workout
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Shoulders, abs, wrists - HIIT after workout or spaced a couple hours after workout
Sunday - HIIT cardio

and

Monday and Thursday: Cardio 45 minutes low intensity at 70-75% max heart rate.
Tuesday: Chest and Quads
Wednesday: Back and Hamstrings
Friday: Shoulders and Arms
Saturday: Cardio 45 minutes low intensity at 70-75% max heart rate.

Monday and Thursday Endomorph Workout: Cardio 45 minutes low intensity at 70-75% max heart rate.

Tuesday Endomorph Workout-Chest and Quads:
5 Minutes warm-up cardio
5 Minutes stretch

10-15 minutes Routine:
· Chest: Pushups 3 x 30 Knees moving to full style when able, even if for a few!
· Quads: Squats 3 x 30 Use a band or hold onto a dumbbell.

Chest and Quads are super setted with 120 seconds rest after each super set. If you really want to loose fat fast, get to a bike quickly and do two minutes of a high level sprint.

30 minutes high incline walking.

Wednesday Endomorph Workout- Hamstrings and Back

5 Minutes warm-up cardio
5 Minutes stretch
10-15 minutes Routine:
· Hamstrings: Swiss ball leg curls 3 x 30 Single legs if you can even if for a few, (stiff legged dead lifts are the hardest exercise)
· Back: Bent over barbell rows 3 x 30

Hamstrings and Back are super setted with 120 seconds rest after each super set. If you really want to loose fat fast, get to a bike quickly and do two minutes of a high level sprint.

30 minutes on the elliptical machine.

Friday Endomorph Workout- Shoulders and Arms

5 Minutes warm-up cardio
5 Minutes stretch
10-15 minutes Routine:
· Shoulders: Standing barbell presses 3 x 30
· Biceps: Standing barbell curls 3 x 30 A cable works well here
· Triceps: Bench Dips 3 x 30 Feet elevated on swiss ball or bench if you can!

Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps are super setted with 120 seconds rest after each super set.

Up to 30 minutes on the stair monster! Just stay on as long as you can until you reach 30 minutes. Your heart rate will be high, but this is the day to push your limits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:41 am 

I'm not crazy about either progam. I think the basics are the same for everybody. You need a balanced resistance program allowing adequate recovery but frequent exposure and high intensities. Starting Strength, 5/3/1, Madcow, WSFSB, Dr. Squat's ABC, etc all provide that. Cardio needs to be similar in that you have frequent exposure, adequate recovery and high intensities. 3 sessions a week of HIIT, complexes, etc coupled with regular low intensity activities like walking will fill the bill.

Beyond that, it's all diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:01 am 

and by high intensity it would be considered a good pace when i'm say, bench pressing? i don't go slow, but i'm not like 10 reps a second either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 am 

xshawnxearthx wrote:
and by high intensity it would be considered a good pace when i'm say, bench pressing? i don't go slow, but i'm not like 10 reps a second either.

High intensity refers to load, not speed of movement. Normally you should be explosive on the concentric and controlled on the eccentric. That's what builds strength and power. Some bodybuilders do rythmic movements maintaining tention throughout. That's not for strength training, that's for mass building.

You can't train with high intensity and maintain frequent exposure and get adequate recovery at the same time so most of the programs I mentioned have some sort of cycle built into them appropriate to the target audience. That to me is the acid test of a program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 am 

stuward wrote:
xshawnxearthx wrote:

High intensity refers to load, not speed of movement. Normally you should be explosive on the concentric and controlled on the eccentric. That's what builds strength and power. Some bodybuilders do rythmic movements maintaining tention throughout. That's not for strength training, that's for mass building.

You can't train with high intensity and maintain frequent exposure and get adequate recovery at the same time so most of the programs I mentioned have some sort of cycle built into them appropriate to the target audience. That to me is the acid test of a program.
i had no idea intensity had to do with load!!!! clears up so much for me. i'm currently doing the ws4sb routine. i was just reading something online last night about training to your body type and the gears start turning and the OCD kicks in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:29 am 
Novice
Novice

IMO it is BS. The entire system was developed by more philosophy than science. Plus, once you say that everyone is a mix of different types like ENDO/MESO you really are bypassing the whole foundation of it. It really is just a simple way to classify people without real science. I also heard places that other than bone structure much of the power of the classification is based on subtle lifestyle behavior.
Think about it, someone doesnt exercise and is fat, they are an endo. They start to diet terribly and lose all fat and a lot of muscle, they just became an ecto, congrats!

Best advice I can give: lose the fat by eating smarter, and just keep adding pounds to the bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:16 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

synergy317 wrote:
IMO it is BS.

Best advice I can give: lose the fat by eating smarter, and just keep adding pounds to the bar.

Times 1000.

Stop torturing yourself with doubt. and stop jumping from training secret to secret. Work out consistently and safely. "Programming" is over-rated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

i think you should lift for your body type, but not to the extent of designing a whole program round it. What i mean is, I'm an ectomorph, so I need to do a lot of stuff for delts (medial delt particularly) and lats (LOADS of chins) if I'm going to get a decent V-shape, whereas someone with wide clavicles probably wouldn't need to do as much delt/lat work as me. But that's as far as it goes.

It's just really a case of choosing which particular isolation lifts I finish my workout with after plugging away at the same compound lifts everyone else does. The big lifts are still 90% of my workout.

As for all those cardio recommendations, what if you were an endomorph with 4% bodyfat? Would you still need all that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 pm 

But Robert, now you're talking not so much as lifting for your body type, as for your goals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:10 pm 

[quote="synergy317"Best advice I can give: lose the fat by eating smarter, and just keep adding pounds to the bar.[/quote]

Yes. Do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:19 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
But Robert, now you're talking not so much as lifting for your body type, as for your goals.

i see your point Doc, but don't we all pretty much have the same goal of being big, strong, lean and healthy? We just have to lift in slightly different ways to do that depending on our body type, so isn't lifting for our body type and lifting for our goals pretty much synonymous?

What I'm basically trying to say is that I think you should lift for your body type, but there isn't necessarilly a one-size-fits-all program, i.e. not all endos necessarilly have to lift the same, nor ectos etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:36 am 

You need to adjust your triaining to your goals and some people may need a different stimulous to achieve the same effect but I don't think you can make a blanket statement that ecto/meso/endo require different methods. You can see from WSFSB, from the title, it's clearly aimed at ectomorphs but it works for meso and endo morphs as well. If you're trying to get bigger and stronger, that's what you do. It comes down to your goals, not your body type.

Granted, most ectomorphs want to get bigger and most ectomorphs want to lose fat, but it still comes down to their goals.