ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Function First
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been reading a book called 'Pain Free Program' by Anthony Carey that I read about in the New York Times. He seems to have a lot of issues with strength training using traditional exercises like bench presses and leg extensions. He says that the exercises don't help with functional fitness and can create more problems than they help.

I've lifted free weights for a number of years and this advice makes some sense but it also seems counterintuitive. Is anyone here familiar with this book/author and what do you think of his ideas?

I've also been using the book 'FrameWork' by Nicholas DiNubile, MD, for some exercises. Anybody familiar with this one?

Thanks!

Tim

Post subject: Re: Function First
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:22 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

TimG wrote:
I've been reading a book called 'Pain Free Program' by Anthony Carey that I read about in the New York Times. He seems to have a lot of issues with strength training using traditional exercises like bench presses and leg extensions. He says that the exercises don't help with functional fitness and can create more problems than they help.

Just out of curiosity - what does Carey offer as an alternative to traditional exercises? And what is his definition of functional fitness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Whats his take on squats and deadlifts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:13 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Read the Amazon reviews. Never seen such a bunch of gush with so little real analysis. The fitness field is just chock full of this marketing crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:11 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ApolytonGP wrote:
Read the Amazon reviews. Never seen such a bunch of gush with so little real analysis. The fitness field is just chock full of this marketing crap.

You can tell that from reading reviews???

I've not read it but, i've heard about it. As far as i'm aware, the guy has various qualifications and a couple of decades in the field under his belt, which would count, in my book, as 'real' analysis.

TimG what you've mentioned so far isn't all that uncommon. Also, I was unaware legextensions were a 'traditional exercise' - if that's the case then i've not done any traditional exercises for years. I can't remember the last time I seen someone who coaches athletes recommend leg extensions, or any machine similar to that. It's kind of obvious they won't have any carryover to anything. Now, this is where the term 'functional' can get mixed up. It's definition is relative. Think of it more as being specific or relevant because, like the word 'core', it's been so overused that the word just puts you off now. 'Carryover' doesn't really matter if you train purely to look better so, the word 'functional' has little relevance if that's your goal. However, if you're training for a sport of some kind, then you're going to want to make sure that what you do will actually have some value.

With regards to the Bench Press, i've seen that statement a few times. I don't really agree with it but, I can also see the point. Most often i've seen the recommendation to replace it with DB variations, push up variations, standing cable variations or standing OH pressing variations. However, I don't train athletes so I can't really comment. You need to remember that coaches who train athletes are dealing with a different population. A sport is basically 'overuse' so, in training them, they need to choose methods which will keep them healthy first and foremost. How they look is a side effect of training and not a priority. Getting a heyooge bench press is irrelevant if it does nothing for their performance on the field.

I hate to sound like i'm defending a book i've not read but, what was mentioned so far isn't that unusual and I also believe in that old saying "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover".

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:52 am 

Here's a review by Laree Draper of his balance training tool.

http://davedraper.com/blog/2009/08/25/c ... ning-tool/

If you type "Carey" into her search engine, she refers to him several times.

This post directly relates to his book.

http://davedraper.com/blog/2008/11/12/a ... -the-back/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 am 

stuward wrote:
This post directly relates to his book.

http://davedraper.com/blog/2008/11/12/a ... -the-back/

I thought this was quite good.

For the OP, if the book is along the same lines of this blog post then I agree with his 'ideas'. They're not really new but are to a lot of people. Many of the coaches often referenced in this site use the same ideas - bearing in mind i'm only going by the above link.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:04 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Kpj: I can't tell a book just from reviews, for sure, but I get indications. In general, I find thoughtful books, get thoughtful reviews. That book had a slew of positive reviews with poor description/insight. I've seen this pattern when authors are working the system on Amazon and getting others to tout their book.