ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hammer curls or regular?
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:28 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Have been doing hammer curls for many months now.* I went to hammer grip because I was getting golfer's elbow with normal grip. now I am steadily getting stronger. But I just worry, that my biceps won't get developed right. How much difference is there, really? Is it not a big deal? Or should I go ahead and go back to normal curls and see if my elbow tolerates it? I guess, I could use the EZ curl bar, which would allow me a grip halfway between the two.

would really prefer not to do two different types of curls (for simplicity). just want to pick one. Only other exercise that I do that hits biceps is seated rows (hammer grip also).

* I do them on the Life Fitness machine, which doesn't have hammer grip, but I just rest the handles on my fists. I'm thinking of going to dumbells. It's about the same, really.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ApolytonGP wrote:
Have been doing hammer curls for many months now.* I went to hammer grip because I was getting golfer's elbow with normal grip. now I am steadily getting stronger. But I just worry, that my biceps won't get developed right. How much difference is there, really? Is it not a big deal?.

If developing your biceps are your only concern, regular grip dumbbell curls are your exercise. Curling with a supinated grip puts the biceps at their strongest mechanical advantage.

But as you found out, supinated curling can be stressful to your elbow. Barbell curling additionally can be hard on the wrists, which is the reason why e-z-curl bars were invented.

Curling with a neutral (hammer) grip puts the biceps at a slight disadvantage, but the other two elbow flexors - brachialis and brachioradialis - can easily make up the difference. The neutral position, in fact, is the strongest position for the brachioradialis. It is the best grip to work all three elbow flexors with the least likelihood of injury. .

Don't worry about theoretical losses that you suffer from using hammer curls. If you continue to exercise, you will grow stronger. If you're injured, you won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:17 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Thanks for telling me what I wanted to hear. Steady on course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:02 pm 

Why not do them both? I do bb curls as my main bicep movement, and then do some hammer curls to round things out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:59 am 

I wonder what percentage of the body's muscle mass is represented by the elbow flexors. Does anybody know of a source for that kind of information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Jungledoc wrote:
I wonder what percentage of the body's muscle mass is represented by the elbow flexors. Does anybody know of a source for that kind of information?

I would like to know as well. It's something I think about a lot. I've read various times over the years that ~60% of your muscle mass is in you lower body. Then you have the back which would be next biggest part. So, how much does the chest and arms actually account for?

What you probably find is that people dedicate 90% of their training to 10% of their muscle mass

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:15 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

xshawnxearthx wrote:
Why not do them both? I do bb curls as my main bicep movement, and then do some hammer curls to round things out.

You don't have elbow problems - ApolytonGP does. Increasing training volume will put more stress on his elbow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:28 am 

Stephen Johnson wrote:
xshawnxearthx wrote:

You don't have elbow problems - ApolytonGP does. Increasing training volume will put more stress on his elbow.
I should have read his entire post.