ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:07 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Any workout is going to affect the next and will be affected by the previous so yes, there will be an effect.

Any activity you can do for 15 minutes will be more aerobic than enerobic so probably will have less affect than more intense activity. However, the fact that you will be putting the weights down from time to time suggests more an anerobic intensity. There will certaing be reduction in grip strength and pulling power the next day. You may not have any problem with pressing movements.

You probably should start with lighter weights and gradually increase them over time. If you need to put them down, you should count it as interval training and adjust your program accordingly.

Ideally, you could use this as a finisher to your lifting workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:16 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I wouldn't think it would cause problems on non lifting days at all, it is mostly GPP in nature anyway. They're usually used as finishers on a lifting day, or part of a standalone GPP/HIIT cardio thingy on off days, or even just when you get bored and want to do something. I'm a firm believer (and practicer at age 61) that you can exercises 6-7 days/week as long as you watch the volume and intensities.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'd hate to be half a mile through with my grip spent and taking forever to get back to put the weights up....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:29 am 

frogbyte wrote:
I'd hate to be half a mile through with my grip spent and taking forever to get back to put the weights up....

Agreed on this..

You might consider on the first workout doing an alternating grip and just carrying a single DB. Instead of stopping and resting when the grip starts to fail, just change hands and keep going.

There is the added benefit of the core stability /oblique work in single arem Farmers Walks. Just concentrate as staying upright and not leaning to the side the weight is on.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
There will certaing be reduction in grip strength and pulling power the next day. You may not have any problem with pressing movements.

You probably should start with lighter weights and gradually increase them over time. If you need to put them down, you should count it as interval training and adjust your program accordingly.

Ideally, you could use this as a finisher to your lifting workout.

Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

wilburburns wrote:
frogbyte wrote:

Agreed on this..

You might consider on the first workout doing an alternating grip and just carrying a single DB. Instead of stopping and resting when the grip starts to fail, just change hands and keep going.

There is the added benefit of the core stability /oblique work in single arem Farmers Walks. Just concentrate as staying upright and not leaning to the side the weight is on.

Cliff

Roger - will do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:00 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I find that single dumbell is way too easy and doesn't really hit core the same way, because weight ends up resting on side. Assymetric works kinda OK, but what I like the best is two at a time, normal. It's more upper body than lower body for me, and definitely gets the wind some as well. Interesting feeling as the grip starts to get weak... :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm 

ApolytonGP wrote:
I find that single dumbell is way too easy and doesn't really hit core the same way, because weight ends up resting on side.

You need a bigger dumbbell. Or use a single barbell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:07 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I might try that. I was thinking after going frrom 2 t50s o 1, that I needed to go up. Or ren a preexhaustion with 2. So much stuff to try. Cool exercise!

I really love how the 2 50s and the walk around the weights area hits my wind though. And the looks I get.

Not trying to be argumentative, but thinking out loud. Think there is still a fair amount of assymetric core tightening created by walking (which leg is planted, which is moving) that creates an assmmettry during the motion. IOW resistance of torsion during linear movement forward.

seguing: Lately have been finding that my bent leg knee cable knee flexions seem to hit the core well too. It would seem to be a symmetrical exercise, but I think the degree of freedom that the cable gives you, makes it a teensy bit multiplanar. I donno...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I have this huge pale of something, I don't know what it is but it's really heavy so, i'm going to use it for farmers walk. I also thought of using those water jugs (dispenser kind).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:53 am 

ApolytonGP wrote:
I might try that. I was thinking after going frrom 2 t50s o 1, that I needed to go up. Or ren a preexhaustion with 2.

I have no idea what any of this means!

My advice on the unilateral farmer's walk is basically to remember why you are doing it. If it's about core strength and posture, then you want to get stronger holding a weight in an off-center position while staying in proper, upright posture. So you want a weight that is challenging enough that it's hard to stay in that posture for long, but not so tough that you have to tilt over heavily to one side, or causes you to hitch up the weight or rest it against your leg in such a way as to take the load off.

If it's about grip strength and legs and all of that, some of that goes out the window, as it's less important to maintain that posture, IMO.

I wouldn't get too concerned about feeling the activation, though. It's sufficient that the weight you can hold in that position improves, or the time improves, or the distance improves.

ApolytonGP wrote:
Not trying to be argumentative, but thinking out loud. Think there is still a fair amount of assymetric core tightening created by walking (which leg is planted, which is moving) that creates an assmmettry during the motion. IOW resistance of torsion during linear movement forward.

You're overthinking it, here - if walking results in a "fair amount" of asymmetric core tightening, than any and all exercises (including just walking, period) is an asymmetric exercise. But that changes nothing - the point of unilateral loading is to accentuate that asymmetric loading and force additional adaptation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I just did them again, today. You're right I was overthinking it.

Revising what I said before: symmetric doesn't do much for my core at all. Since the weights are heavy pulling down and the steps relatively short. Really it feels almost all upper body (grip, traps, back of the arms even).

I get way more off-axis core from set's of single leg L seats and from cable-ized bent leg knee flexions.

I guess I could try a heavier single arm or assymetric next time. I'm not sure I really need the extra core though.

Actually really think they are a fun exercise, but not sure about keeping in my upper/lower split program. hmmm...