ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:36 pm 
I know the pecs shouldn't be categorized into different sections, (lower, inner, upper, etc), but which part of the pecs make you look big?

Is it the lower or upper pecs? etc?

I hear people say the upper pecs give the look of a well-rounded chest, but others also say its the lower.

What exercises and what parts of the chest should be trained to give it a well-rounded look?

Of course, I'm training all my other muscle groups as well. I'm just extra curious about the pecs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:45 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know there are the "upper" and "lower" pectorals. I don't know if it is a myth or not about the "inner" pectorals.

In terms of mass of muscle, the "lower" pectorals have more mass than the upper. That may be one reason why some say they are easier to train than the upper pectorals.

I personally don't care about upper or lower pectorals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:19 pm 
For sternal do either flat or decline bench press. For calvicular do incline bench press. Switch it up between dumbbells and barbells. I suppose you could probably do bench on a slight incline and lower the bar to a little further up on the chest then you normaly do on flat, but I think it is better to just do 2 seperate exercises. Forget about all the flys and cable crossovers and machines and such. It's not like it is going to hurt, but it is not needed either. I have seen people make progress with and without, so I think they are irrelivent. If you want to increase your chest cavity, lat pullovers can be good. The old timers used to do a 20 rep set of rest pause squats superseted with the lat pullovers. You do it with no rest so you are panting like a dog while you do the pullovers. It's not something to do all the time, but you can throw that in from time to time if you're kind of thin. Never tried it myself, because I am already shaped like a neanderthal. So no first hand experience on the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:27 pm 

I think the most effective exercises are declines and inclines with barbell and dumbbell.

I rarely do declines and often settle for flat instead as I usually do not train more than one exercise and have almost no desire to gain chest size.

If you are going to do a couple exercises I recommend doing the barbell version first and then doing the dumbbell version of the other next.

IE barbell decline then dumbbell incline
OR barbell decline then dumbbell decline

I agree the flys and the like are often a waste of time unless you are pressing 300+ lbs on the barbell your time is better spent there getting stronger.