ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hi guys - I've jumped over to Stronglifts 5x5 - I can't give you a decent answer as to why not starting strength just when I checked the resources stronglifts gave me a spreadsheet and warmup calc faster so I thought I'd put 3-4 months into it.

Anyway - since my normal routine is Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri and some squats Sunday (full body split, I know... wish I'd listened earlier) -and stronglifts/SS is M/W/F - is it a good idea to do HIIT or relativley high but short cardio on the tue/thurs? or does this damage the rest bennefit i'll need for these full body workouts to work properly?

Again as I always say, I realise the answers are out there and thankyou for your time, but they conflict as usual - some say abstain and have the general message "if you add to these routines, it isnt this routine is it?" then some say "some hiit on off days will assist in lowering BF% and if you feel fine, do it" (the old listen to your body message).

Cheers -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:46 pm 

Depends on your goals. If you're looking for fat loss then I would do it on your off days because the weight training isn't really gonna be progressive anyway, you're just looking to maintain strength/mass.

If your were concentrating on strength/mass gains I wouldn't do it in between days, maybe at the weekend for conditioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:41 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hm ok - will be a little hard for me to get to lunch and not go gym but if its for the best then will take my off days as truly off :)

I'm still a few % higher BF than i'd like to be but I think I need more general strength and mass before trying to go down to 11-12 - starting to be a bit too thin.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 am 
Novice
Novice

I would keep doing it, Personally I think exercising the heart is the most important thing you can do and is often over looked. There are many ways to do hiit and the advantage, as you probably already know, is that it burns fat not muscle. I do wind sprints and jump rope. If your worried about burning out our legs grab a fricking jump rope, works the calves pretty good but it doesn't feel like a full body workout the next day. And like you said, listen to your body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:59 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm on the bike for sprints - anything else feels like my 93kg ass is jumping on a steel block (no give) - I admire (maybe too strong a word... respect? :) ) people who can belt out the jump rope or do proper out door sprints but for me sitting on my ass using my legs is my fave HIIT

I dunno - maybe just go light on it - 15 minutes or even 10 just to get heart going properly. at least until I start hitting the heavy squats (which are x3 a week)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:13 am 
Novice
Novice

I'd would trying going light, 10-15 minutes of Hiit is still a pretty good workout. I can see why you would be concerned doing squats 3 days a week. I try to have at least 2 days rest between hitt (wind sprints) and squats or dead lifts. I do squats and deads on different days and only once a week. Jump rope doesn't bother my legs at all. I bought a heart rate monitor and try to go 90% of max heart (this usually takes a few sprints or whatever I'm doing, to get that high) and then l walk around till it gets down to 60% of max then go again. I go for 20 minutes twice a week. I used to do LSD ( the cardio version, not the drug) 3 days week. Since doing hiit my resting heart rate is still the same and I can still go out once in a while and still run 5K. Anyway, good luck and I would just advise that you not forget about your heart. I read somewhere that hiit is like weight lifting for your heart.