ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hello

I have just started back lifting after staying away from weights for a while due to an injury I got while benching. I went to classes at the gym instead.

Now I'm back... with a vengeance.

I would like to ask some questions, if I might.

I am doing Mike Mahler's starting strength program, which if I read correctly instructs you to do a push exercise, then go straight to a pull exercise, and then rest. For example today I did squats, then went straight to deadlifts, then had a rest before starting the next set.

My question is whether or not this is necessary, as working out in a crowded gym makes it hard sometimes. I'd rather just do my four sets of squats with rests in between, then four sets of deadlifts, then come back from squatting and find that the weight I was deadlifting is in use.

While I'm on that topic, perhaps someone has some hints for getting the Romanian deadlift form perfect? I ask because watching myself front on in the mirror, I seem to be slightly out of alignment; the bar doesn't finish up straight when I bend down. How can I fix this?

I would also like to know how often the people here increase the weight they lift. Do you do it only when you have become comfortable with the weight, or is it something you do no matter what? I train to increase muscle mass and get stronger, and often wonder if I am training hard enough.

Lastly, while bench pressing, my right elbow often cracks. Is this a sign that I am doing too much weight? I dislike the feeling intensely. Perhaps there is another way to make it stop.

As you can see, I am full of questions, and any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:03 pm 

I think any cracking means I am not doing something right, so I adjust my form to avoid that. same with knees popping when I squat or deadlift or whatever. it could also mean something is tight. You might have your elbows out too far. supposed to keep them in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:48 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
I'd rather just do my four sets of squats with rests in between, then four sets of deadlifts, then come back from squatting and find that the weight I was deadlifting is in use.

Then do that
For RDL, just DL the weight up, then unlock your knees a bit, bend at the hips keeping the lower back in a decent arch until you feel some stretch in the hamstrings, then pull back with the hamstrings and squeeze the glutes.

If you want something that will tell you what weight to do, you can look into "5/3/1," otherwise just add weight when you get all your sets and reps with good form.
Somebody else should be able to answer your question about your elbow better than I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:44 am 
Rookie
Rookie

In regards to having my elbows too far out, how do you correct this? Do you put your hands closer together on the bar before you lift, or do you pull them in alongside your ribs on the way down? Or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:49 am 

Magnus wrote:
In regards to having my elbows too far out, how do you correct this? Do you put your hands closer together on the bar before you lift, or do you pull them in alongside your ribs on the way down? Or something else?

Taking a narrower grip will bring your elbows in. Also actively pulling your arms in with your lats will provide over all tension and help with the lift. The bar will touch the chest lower down as well. It should hit just below the nipple line.