ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Example 2x/day routines?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:14 pm 

I'm looking to start training 2x/day, I know I'd have to drop it down to 3-4 days/wk and eat adequately, but I've read from multiple sources that it's a great way for advanced trainees to make gains.

However, the problem is that I haven't found any examples of a routine. I've heard to do heavier low volume in the morning and lighter high volume at night of the same muscle group with 4-6 hours rest between and plenty of food.

Anyone who knows of a place where this is discussed in detail other than the info I've gotten from Poliquin would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:45 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Big Beyond Belief (e-book) has got a 6/week, 2/day training program.
But it's supposidly not as good for mass as the regular 6/week program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:33 am 

Wouter wrote:
Big Beyond Belief (e-book) has got a 6/week, 2/day training program.
But it's supposidly not as good for mass as the regular 6/week program.

Well, the idea behind 2/day training is to give yourself more days of completely rest.. doing 6 days/wk of 2/day wouldn't really be of benefit over 6 days/wk because it doesn't capitalize on the reason for doing 2/day from what I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I thought 2/day was about splitting up your workouts so that you can attak the weight twice a day fresh and have more energy to lift.
And most do the same bodypart the same day, like intensity back work in the morning and volume work in the evening.

Not necesarily more days of complete rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:00 pm 

Wouter wrote:
I thought 2/day was about splitting up your workouts so that you can attak the weight twice a day fresh and have more energy to lift.
And most do the same bodypart the same day, like intensity back work in the morning and volume work in the evening.

Not necesarily more days of complete rest.

The intensity of 2x/day 6days/wk would cause CNS burn out fairly quickly.

The ideas, as I understand them, are that allowing more full days of rests can make CNS fatigue less of an issue - because it's typically the limiting factor in most training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I actually don't know a lot about 2/days never had time to do them, so never read thoroughly about them. So you can be correct :wink:
But still some of guys just divide their regular workout into 2 parts and do a part in the morning and in the evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:19 pm 

There are a number of reasons to lift twice a day. For example, olympic weightlifters often train more than 7 times a week. I think Glenn Pendlay trains his team 9 times a week, something like every morning Monday to Saturday and 3 afternoon workouts, each 2 days apart. I think the daily ones are more skill based while the afternoon ones are more intensive.

Another way to do it is to split a large workout into 2 parts, with a meal break or 2 in between. Another is to do a 4 day split into 2 days, say lower body in the morning, upper in the afternoon with a longer break between.

As long as you manage your recovery along with the intensity and frequency, nothing's right or wrong.

Last edited by stuward on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:20 pm 

Wouter wrote:
I actually don't know a lot about 2/days never had time to do them, so never read thoroughly about them. So you can be correct :wink:
But still some of guys just divide their regular workout into 2 parts and do a part in the morning and in the evening.

That's basically what I'm doing starting this week, the way I have it set up allows for me to add 2 more rest days to the week (1 on, 1 off, repeat).

We'll see how it goes, I've done my first part of the workout today:

4x6 Flat DB Bench
4x6 Incline DB Bench

Then tonight is high rep accessory:

5x12-15 DB Flys
4x12-15 DB Lateral Raises
4x12-15 Tricep Pushdowns

Eating as much as I desire while doing it, as well - I have a huge appetite so I'm pretty sure I'll be in a surplus.