ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoulder Issue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have been suffering from a shoulder issue which i have a feeling is roptator cuff related:

How would i go about diagnosing this without an expensive consultation?

My shoulder clicks in a variety of motions and can often be mildly painful, particularly during pressing (typically bench/chest) motions. I have been focusing on the major lifts (big six) and the issue has relaxed an awful lot but still not disappeared entirely. I am mindful of it and try my best not to agravate it but wanted to know if anyone could diagnose it to be sure it is rotator cuff related and ultimatley get rid of it!

Post subject: Re: Shoulder Issue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:51 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

teafan wrote:
I have been suffering from a shoulder issue which i have a feeling is roptator cuff related:

How would i go about diagnosing this without an expensive consultation?

If it hurts more that 72 hours, there is an injury. The question is whether or not your training will aggravate the injury further.

teafan wrote:
My shoulder clicks in a variety of motions and can often be mildly painful, particularly during pressing (typically bench/chest) motions.

You should either switch to dumbbell bench presses, or don't let your elbows go below your torso when you do barbell bench presses. If you're using the bench to train your chest, there is no advantage in going below your torso anyway.

And if the pain continues despite the change in your workout, stop and seek medical attention. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish with the cost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:13 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The issue triggered when i was using a machine that forced you to lift from an unaturally deep position... like starting the lift from a little deeper than your chest. It was only when i started to hit the heavier weights that things hit the proverbial fan...

Do you think any rotator cuff type exercises would help too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:52 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

teafan wrote:
Do you think any rotator cuff type exercises would help too?

Doing exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff is always a good idea. Prehab beats rehab any day of the week.

But if the pain is coming from the front of the shoulder, your problem could be due to biceps tendonitis:

Quote:
Pain related to biceps tendonitis is usually felt over the front of the shoulder, often with some radiation to, but not usually beyond, the elbow. Typically, the pain is aggravated by overhead activity and is worse at night. People may report a clicking or popping sensation in the affected shoulder.

The clicking or popping sound in the shoulder (known as crepitus) occurs more often with the biceps tendon than the other muscle tendons and ligaments of the shoulder. That isn't ironclad proof that the biceps tendon is the culprit of your shoulder problems, but it is a strong hint.

Take the above info with a grain of salt, however - I'm not a doctor. To know for sure, you'll have to see one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:38 pm 
Necromancer
Necromancer

Is it common for the clicking to get worse during the external rotation movements? I can just hear it grinding whenever I do them =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I dont think thats whats it - the pain isnt coming from the front of the shoulder, more towards the rear. Typically it isnt bothering me at the moment so i cant "get into the zone" and give a thourough description of the "pain" - i guess it feels like its situated in the area where my arm connects with my shoulder socket.

Some of the same symptoms have appiled (no so much recently) such as it feeling worse at night...

It's improved a lot since i started doing balanced, compount lifts. Hopefully this trend will continue and eradicate the issue altogether!