ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Artificial hips
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:11 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi to the ExRx community :grin: im a Phys Ed teacher in the prison service and i want to know if anybody out there has both hips replaced like me and the question is this CAN I STILL DEADLIFT FROM BLOCKS? or am i in danger of dislocation??im not talking silly weights, maybe 100k for 5s (im 90k)....any reply welcome

this site is great i cant believe ive only just discovered it, the science is right up my street.....thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:06 am 

What do your surgeon and/or PT say?

Post subject: hips
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:24 am 
n00b
n00b

My sugeon thinks i sit at a desk (i do for a lot of the time) and as for my PT (i take it that stands for Personal Trainer) i dont have one as its me everyone usually comes to for advice.....i know what i think but im just looking for someone more knowledable than me to tell me how far i can push it (my Luck)

ive lost my hunger and i wanna pull some weight to get it back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:44 am 

PT can mean Physio Therapist as well. It probably fits better in this context.

Whatever you do, you need to progressively strengthen everything. It makes sense to me that some deadlifting would be reasonable. Whether or not you go as heavy as you can is another matter. You need to have a understanding of the structural limits in the joint itself and I think you need to discuss that with your doctor.

btw, several people in my wife's family have hip replacements. All were more active following the surgery but I don't think any took up deadlifting.

This is interesting.

http://www.healthhype.com/problems-of-h ... ement.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:44 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm not touching this one. Ask your doctor and follow his advice. One messed up hip is a big deal, much less two. Don't go looking for help on an internet forum for this kind of thing. Follow your doc's orders. You don't want to spend the rest of your life in pain and immobile.

Post subject: Re: Artificial hips
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:57 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

stuntcock wrote:
Hi to the ExRx community :grin: im a Phys Ed teacher in the prison service and i want to know if anybody out there has both hips replaced like me and the question is this CAN I STILL DEADLIFT FROM BLOCKS? or am i in danger of dislocation??im not talking silly weights, maybe 100k for 5s (im 90k)....any reply welcome

this site is great i cant believe ive only just discovered it, the science is right up my street.....thanks guys

Stunt,

Two powerlifters that have had hip replacments are Ricky Dale Crain and Joe Dentice Both have competed in powerlifting meets after surgery.

I lifted with Dentise at the Venice Beach, California meet a few years ago, after his surgery. Joe was just coming back and did well.

My suggestioon is to email Crain and Dentice and get first hand information.

Here are their email addresses:

Joe Dentise LVJOE700@AOL.COM Phone 702-795-2898

Ricky Dale Crain rcrain@allegiance.tv

Stu provided you with a good answer.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:25 pm 

I meant physical therapist. I only ask most personal trainers for fashion advise.

I'm surprised that you weren't given some sort of a progressive rehabilitation program following your surgery.

The movement of the deadlift and of the squat are basic movements of human living, so the movements shouldn't be a problem. Make sure that you have good ROM for whatever you do, and then progress gradually. I would definitely contact the people that Kenny mentioned to learn about their experience, and whether they had any practical guidance from their surgeons or therapists.

This is actually a question that I have wondered about, since I have OA, and several close relatives do. My sister has had both hips replaced, and is close to getting her knees done as well, so it is entirely possible that I will have to consider it (most likely knees) in the next few years. I'd hate to give up any part of my lifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:06 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Jungledoc wrote:
I only ask most personal trainers for fashion advise.

Jungledoc,

You need to rethink this statement.

I have a personal training certification.

Anyone consulting with me about fashion is an idiot. :)

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:47 am 
n00b
n00b

Good Luck. I had my R hip done in 2000, the L done in '04.
The weak point is where the bone grows around the metal parts. Mine took roughly two yrs to feel comfortable. For me that weak point is mid thigh. That's where the end of the rod is.
I pulled 340 yesterday, and I'm 50.

You'll have to listen to your own body to tell you when you can push it. MAKE SURE you have DRs. clearance to try it though. How long has it been since surgery? My .02 I wouldn't try it for the first yr.

Now back to my lurking status

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:02 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

mike1394 wrote:
Good Luck. I had my R hip done in 2000, the L done in '04.
The weak point is where the bone grows around the metal parts. Mine took roughly two yrs to feel comfortable. For me that weak point is mid thigh. That's where the end of the rod is.
I pulled 340 yesterday, and I'm 50.

Mike certainly provide some first hand information.

Quote:
You'll have to listen to your own body to tell you when you can push it.

I agree that is one of the keys to training in general and especially with in coming of a hip replacement or any other type injury.

I had a hearnia operation in 1994. I found another lifter who had the same surgery.

His advice was the same as Mike's "If it hurts, DON"T DO IT"...listen to your body.

Great advice.

Quote:
MAKE SURE you have DRs. clearance to try it though.

I don't completely agree in obtaining clearance from a doctor. This is NOT a doctor's area of expertise (no offence to you Jungledoc).

The AMA and majority of medical doctors are right wing conservatives in this area. That in part to their lack of knowledge in this area.

Rather than defer to experts in this area, Physical Therapist, medical doctors tell you NOT to do it...again, because they have NO idea of what to do.

The montra of physcians after any surgery is: "Do NOT lift anything over 10 lbs." They prescribe that for those 90 years old barely walking as well as to top professional athletes.

A "One size fts all" statement like that make no sense...Yet, medical doctors do it.

The nurse at the doctors office that I went to for my hernia opertaion told me I was dune with lifting. That because she was clueless.

The physician was an athlete himself. He told me to ease back into it and see how it goes.

I had the hernia operatioon at 45 years old. At that time I was squatting 480 at powerlifting meets and pulling 545 lb deadlifts.

It took me about a year to get back to where I was with my lifting.

At 53, I Squatted 255 kilos/562 lbs and deadlifted 280 kilos/617 lbs. That information is posted online.

Quote:
How long has it been since surgery? My .02 I wouldn't try it for the first yr.

I disagree with not trying it for the first year.

My recommendation is to try it. Go SLOW...as Mike noted LISTEN to your body.

I was back in the gym a week after they my hernia operation, EASING back into it.

The best advice is going to come from Ricky Dale Crain and Joe Dentice. Crain is a former world powerlifting champion.

Crain even with a hip replacement can squat and pull more weight than most other lifters in great shape.

Joe Dentice is former national rated lifter, who's still lifting at powerlifting meets.

Both of these guys have a brain.

In my 41 years in powerlifting, I have phoned and emailed powerlifters, exercise physiologist, medical doctors,physical therapist, sports psychologist, etc for advice and information.

In those 41 years, only once have I run across an ass that refused to speak with me.

Suntcock, EMAIL both Crain and Dentice. I beleive both will provide you with information you can use.

You have NOTHING to lose by emailing them and a LOT to gain.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:25 am 
n00b
n00b

The reason I said to check with DR. was to make sure the surgery is structurally sound. You need to have adequate bone growth around the appliances.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks to all for your sound advice especially Kenny, i will e mail Joe and Ricky as you suggest.

Thanks again folks and i will update you with an update as soon as i know more