ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

For exercises pertaining to squats, deads, anything that involves a lower back arch, how do you keep your back from rounding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:04 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Get into form, using a lighter weight, i.e. warm ups, go through the motions correctly, get the feel of it, and with a spotter , keep adding weight, until you feel, or the spotter feels your form breaking down. Stop, and keep the weight there. True, if you're going for a max, your form will probably break down, but for training purposes, don't let it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 pm 

Also, think about keeping the chest high, and the shoulder blades pulled back and together. Have someone put his finger between your shoulder blades and try to pinch it with the shoulder blades. Then try to do the same thing when you're setting up for the lift, and try to keep it tight like that all throughout the lift.

I second everything that Tim said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can keep my back arched when squatting, going several inches under parallel. I've seen people able to go further, with their back in arched form, but I sense a slight arch in my back when I attempt to try. Is there any way to develop keeping an arched back while going deeper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You might have an Posterior pelvic tilt. Or, it could just be that your not flexible enough. Do some hamstring static stretches. You can also do the superman pose stretch, Lie down on your stomach and raise your legs and torso. There is a video on the Squat Rx series about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

I also have slight problems with lower back rounding at the bottom of the squat. Its getting better though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Gantz wrote:
For exercises pertaining to squats, deads, anything that involves a lower back arch, how do you keep your back from rounding?

Gantz,

Your head is like the rudder on a boat. The direction of your boat igoing right or left is determined by your rudder.

It is the same with your head position and your lower back. Your head position determines if you keep you back arched or round it.

Keeping you head up insures that you keep your lower back in more of an arch.

Once you drop you head, you going to round you back...it is inevatable.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 am 

Gantz wrote:
I can keep my back arched when squatting, going several inches under parallel. I've seen people able to go further, with their back in arched form, but I sense a slight arch in my back when I attempt to try. Is there any way to develop keeping an arched back while going deeper?

If you're several inches below parallel and your back is still arched, you're already more flexible than most people. As you keep doing it, you will improve. Don't go lower than the point where your tail starts to tuck under but always try to go deeper while keeping the arch. Each time you do it, you stretch a bit more and gradually you should improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It took me a year to find my dead-lifting form, so don't sweat it if you don't find your form overnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:43 pm 

stick your butt out, thats what I do.

also...how strong are your glutes? (can you do glute bridges well and squeeze those bums together?)

and how flexible are your hip adductors/hip internal rotators?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:49 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can do glute bridges fine but I don't know how to measure adductor/internal rotator flexibility.