ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

I frequently go to my college's gym, but we have a three-week holiday break coming up after next week. I don't have a gym membership back home, and am just wondering what I should do to keep in shape/continue improving?

Does anyone know if gyms will just allow me to get a membership for one month? Or should I just do body weight exercises on my own (push ups, pull ups, etc., with interval runs mixed in)?

I currently work out on an upper/lower body split, with 3x10 bench presses, 2x10 rows, 2x10 lat pulldowns, 2x10 deadlifts,3x10 overhead presses and 30 pull ups on upper body days, and interval runs (jog 5 min, sprint 30 sec, jog 1 min, sprint 45 sec, jog 1 min, sprint 1 min, jog 1 min, sprint 45 sec, jog 1 min, sprint 30 sec, jog 5 min), 3x8 squats, 3x12 dumbbell lunges, and 3x10 leg presses on lower body days.

Thank you for your time and input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:52 pm 

A lot of gyms charge drop in fees. I've seen anywhere from $5 in Dartmouth to $35 in Toronto.

You can also do something at home centered around push ups, chin ups and split squats. It may not make you stronger but it will maintain your conditioning until you get back to the gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:42 pm 

You can use various heavy objects to make the exercises more challenging. You can have someone set something on your back for pushups, or you can hold something while you do lunges or stair climbs (using every second or third stair). I used a rock for a workout this week. Little brothers or sisters or nephews or nieces or neighbor kids can be good weights. Let them climb on you for pushups or put them on your shoulders for squats or lunges. If they are big enough to hold on, you can give them a ride while you do chinups.

Plyo pushups and throws of various sorts are a possibility.

Or make it a bit of a rest. If you can find a gym that has day passes maybe go once or twice but don't make it super-heavy. Go back to the college gym after 3 weeks rested and refreshed and ready for new challenges.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:55 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

dudeindisguise2010 wrote:
I frequently go to my college's gym, but we have a three-week holiday break coming up after next week. I don't have a gym membership back home, and am just wondering what I should do to keep in shape/continue improving?.

Three weeks out of the gym won't cause you to become deconditioned if you're in reasonably good shape. Have fun during your time off if you can't get a part time membership at a gym. Just be sure to come back to the gym after New Years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:02 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you're SOL
Without gyms, there is no way to get stronger.
You must lift round plates made of iron, or lift your self while hanging from an apparatus which resides inside a building full of round things made of iron. I could go on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:40 am 

I find that just being near round things made of iron is enough. I sleep with one under my pillow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:34 am 

haha jungle did you get that stair climb idea from me?

I honestly think body weight exercises can make you really strong and are perfect for maintaining strength in your body. IN fact heres a goal. By the end of the 3 weeks, try to be able to do at least 50 pushups in a row and then switch back to lifting. or if you can do 50, try to go for 75.

Body weight exercises work so well that wrestlers, yes wrestlers in all leagues and levels do them! Theres also loads of ways to train with them.

Like you can do pushups, bear crawls, crab walks, wall sits, jump squats, elevated pushups, stair running, planks, pull ups, sprinting, 1 leg squats, clap pushups, etc etc etc! try any one of these! Especially try bear crawls and sprints together in the same day.

So you workout can look like this

Monday
Go to a place with grass like a park
Bear Crawl 50 meters then sprint back to where you started ,rest, and repeat 12 times or if your conditioning is low, try to go for at least 8

after that do 3 100 meter sprints then your done

Tuesday
Pushups 8 X 10
Elevated Pushups 4 X 10
Wall handstand pushups 2 X5

Wednesday
Chin ups 5X max
Pull ups 3 X max
army crawls 3 X 40 meters

Thursday
Stairs 5 X 4 minutes up and down regular
3 X 3 minutes up and down every other one
4 X 2 minutes up and down by hopping on each one
2X1 minute hopping every other one

Friday
Planks try to reach 10 minutes of regular planks in as little sets as possible
Try to reach 5 minutes of side planks as little as possible

Saturday Jump Rope
15 minutes

Sunday

Haha sorry for this being so long but thats an example, trust me you can get good strength and cardio/conditioning doing this stuff!