8 x 25
10 x 25
10 x 25

Barbell Pushups: Pretty steep angle ~60^

Seated Rows: Lever
8 x 37.5
8 x 37.5
10 x 37.5

All is going well, and she's happy with her progress. So far, the soreness and DOMS have not been an issue once the first week was over.

As stated, she seemed tired/muscle fatigue after this workout and expected to be sore the following days. As of this morning, she feels good and is not sore. This is a good thing.

Now to try and get more advise from the REAL trainers out there...

How do you determine a good progression scheme that does not Kill the client? I can listen to my own body as I select weights, but when selecting for someone else, I'm somewhat lost.

Currently, I am using this basic scheme. Add another set each workout, but we will soon be at 4-5 sets for everything and I will need to add weight. Again, We aren't trying to get her super strong real fast, just more active and in better general shape. As stated, she's happy and surprises the rest of the family and her coworkers with what she is currently doing and the speed of her progression.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:20 am 

As long as she's progressing, it's good. Better to go too slow than too fast with an older lifter. Just go up one increment in the dumbbells and if she's able to get close to the desired reps, it's good. If not, you may have to look at platemates or something. Encourage her to hit maximum reps on the last set. That will tell you right away if you're going too light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am 

Monday 20110207

Goblet Squats to Bench:
8 x 8
8 x 8
8 x 10

DB Overhead Press
8 x 8
8 x 8
8 x 8
8 x 10

Bent Over Barbell Row (New Movement)
40 x 8 **
40 x 8 **
40 x 8 **

Squat:
Might be time to Jump up to 10# on the Goblet Squats as I think she actually did 4 compete sets, but didn't bring my notes with me this morning. I look forward to some warmth so we can move outside and do stepups also as I feel she would like a bit more variety for legs.

Overhead Press:
Definetely time for more weight on these.

Bent Over Row:
She didn't like the Upright Rows, so I gave her the option of Bent over BB or DB Rows. She chose the BB version and after adding enough weight, form improved. I actually added more than I though she could/would do, but once again was surprised as she did them pretty well.

** Notes:
EZ Curl Bar + 20#, I need to weigh the bar to find exact weight. I actually have a couple bars I don't know the weight of and need to weigh.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 am 

Monday 20110222

Goblet Squats to Bench:
8 x 8
8 x 8
8 x 10

Flat Bench: Narrow Grip
30 x 8
30 x 4 **

DB Overhead Press
8 x 8
8 x 8
8 x 10
8 x 8

She basically took the week while I was sick and might have done a few squats, but not enough. This really showed in last nights workout.

Tried something "new" with the Flat Bench. Was going fairly well until she said she had a cramp in her back. That ended that, so she finished off with the DB Overhead presses. Didn't do any "Pulling" last night, so may need to double up on that for the next time.