ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

So is there any near-fixed ratio for BB weight to DB weight? I'm just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 pm 

Don't believe so...

I can do more weight for more reps on DB than I can on BB for most bench and press movements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:53 am 

There is something called the "unilateral deficit" that states that you can do more than half with one hand of what you can do with both hands. Kenny wrote a post on this a while back (maybe a year?). I believe the principle, but it doesn't work out too well for me. My barbell 1RM is about 180, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do a single rep with a 90 pound DB!

I'd suggest experimenting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:13 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
There is something called the "unilateral deficit" that states that you can do more than half with one hand of what you can do with both hands. Kenny wrote a post on this a while back (maybe a year?). I believe the principle, but it doesn't work out too well for me. My barbell 1RM is about 180, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do a single rep with a 90 pound DB!

I'd suggest experimenting.

I believe Peter once made a post or Blog Entry stating giving an estimate like this.

DB Pressing max is ~90% of Barbell Pressing Max. This seems fairly true for me, but I've never tried a 1rm on a DB, so couldn't be certain.

However, it makes sense to me. I'll use a Flat Press as an example of why.
- DB Pressing uses "MORE" stabilizer Muscles than Barbell Pressing.
- When Barbell Pressing, I grip the bar and try to rip the bar in two, this requires only firing half of the stabilizers in each arm as the Right and left counteract each other.
- When DB Pressing, ALL Stabilizer Muscles must work to balance and hold the bar above, and often times, the weaker stabilizer Muscles are what cause an incomplete lift.

Theoretically, with enough practice and adaptation (strengthening of ALL Stabilizers) it would be possible to get past that and have a stronger 1arm DB Press.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:19 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Cliff - yeah, my estimate is always 45% - you can probably get the same reps with the same exercise with dumbbells that are each 45% of your barbell weight. That may be a bit generous or a bit conservative, depending.

It also depends on the exercise - the more you can leverage your whole body against one arm, the heavier DB you can use. Which is why my two-arm chest-supported DB rows don't come close to my one-arm DB row, for example.

But I found 45% for the same rep count (total 90% with two DBs) is a good place to start and then you can adjust from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:50 pm 

Flat benching I've hit the 125's for 3, and then struggled to get 225 for 8 on BB. (My close grip is only like 3 reps behind my regular flat.)

Overhead pressing I can hit 185 for 6-8, and doubt I would be able to press the 80's overhead for that much, lol...

I don't know if everyone is going to be the same, but the formulas people have posted here seemed reasonable guides.