ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 am 
n00b
n00b

Actually let me find out my max reps today. I'll come back and update it,

I just gave you guys a guestimate on what it is because my most ever was 35 and that was last year....I do 4-6 sets of 15...so I dont think thats my max.

I'm an amatuer boxer from the Bronx and ACSM PT certified in NYC, I do in home training.

Sorry for not introducing myself, I'm one of the biggest readers on this site, stu you the man!

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:02 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Thats always been my experience too. Max reps never seems to go up, but anything sub-max gets easier. Strange!

Exactly Rik. I actually have a little auto regulation built in. If it gets harder towards the end of the week, then I'm doing a little too much and I'll either cut it back a rep or leave it there for another week. If I get a consistant week where it seems a little easier at the end of the week, I'll look at adding a rep for the next week. I'm in no hurry. I know this will get me where I want, my only concern is if I will hit my stated goal by the end of Feb or not.

At least i'm not alone. I'll have to figure whats going on here. Maybe it's body weight related, I'm going to keep track of my weight for sure. I know it tends to fluctuate quite a bit.

Maybe we both fail because of the same body part. Possibly Biceps letting me down, as I dont really train to increase my curls much. It's hard to figure out exactly which part is failing when I get to the last rep, too busy trying to stop my eyeballs popping out to notice :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:38 pm 
n00b
n00b

21 is my max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 pm 

Rik-Blades wrote:
stuward wrote:
Thats always been my experience too. Max reps never seems to go up, but anything sub-max gets easier. Strange!

Exactly Rik. I actually have a little auto regulation built in. If it gets harder towards the end of the week, then I'm doing a little too much and I'll either cut it back a rep or leave it there for another week. If I get a consistant week where it seems a little easier at the end of the week, I'll look at adding a rep for the next week. I'm in no hurry. I know this will get me where I want, my only concern is if I will hit my stated goal by the end of Feb or not.

At least i'm not alone. I'll have to figure whats going on here. Maybe it's body weight related, I'm going to keep track of my weight for sure. I know it tends to fluctuate quite a bit.

Maybe we both fail because of the same body part. Possibly Biceps letting me down, as I dont really train to increase my curls much. It's hard to figure out exactly which part is failing when I get to the last rep, too busy trying to stop my eyeballs popping out to notice :lol:

On most lifts we'd break up the load-volume scheme. It's harder to do with pullups, especially if we're still at low reps. That's why I think Ferruggia's ideas about doing multiple singles, doubles or triples is valuable. Ladders similar. If you're stuck on your dead or squat, you'd probably drop the weight and do some high-rep work for a while, then shift back to heavy, low-rep stuff. Not convenient to do with chins the way most of us do them.

On the other hand, somebody that's doing 21 chins will probably benefit more from adding weight for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yesterday I did 1,2,3,4,5, 1,2,3,4,4 with a 15-30 sec rests.
Hope to get three ladders done tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:16 am 

On Tuesday I did 10,6,4,4 parallel bw. Apalling session, had to drop deadlift weight by 10kgs and struggled to hit 5 reps a set. I'd say my target is 30+ in 4 sets. I.e 10,10,10,4. Maybe a bit ambitious given my last result but \I think 10,10,10 will be fine in a couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:32 am 

Nevage wrote:
On Tuesday I did 10,6,4,4 parallel bw. Apalling session, had to drop deadlift weight by 10kgs and struggled to hit 5 reps a set. I'd say my target is 30+ in 4 sets. I.e 10,10,10,4. Maybe a bit ambitious given my last result but \I think 10,10,10 will be fine in a couple of weeks.
4x8 would put you over the goal, and shouldn't be too hard at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:29 pm 

Good idea, I think this will be more achievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 am 

With a couple of changes:

Proper Knob--PR 14 narrow "semi neutral". Goal=15
robertscott--he's in, but hasn't reported a PR or goal
wilburburns--in, but no PR or goal yet
Jebus--will do weighted pulls, but no PR reported yet
jml--New test, PR12. Goal 13
slashnul--PR 10 pullups. Goal=11
Travis--New test, PR 12. Goal 13.
pdellorto--PR 16 chinups (I believe). Goal=17+. That is now official.
robt-aus--PR 7 pullups, close grip. Goal=8
Ryan A--PR 8, going for 10.
KPj--PR 18. A 10% increase rounds up to 20!
stuward--PR 10. Goal is to be able to do 10 daily for 5 days.
bam--7 wide grip pullups. Goal 8
jungledoc--PR 12 chinups. Goal 13. Maybe 14.
Velcropop--6 neutral grip. Goal 8.Goal reached, 20 Feb!
Rikblades--PR 10. Goal 11.
Kab3261--5 close-grip chins. Goal 7.
Nkkip--Counts 15. We'll trust his counting this time!
Hoister--PR BW+50x25. Goal 27 reps!
Jebus--PR 1. Goal 2. Simple, huh?
NightFall--Just got BW+75x3. Goal 6.Got BW+80x5, feels that's equivalent to the goal Going to declare a new goal
Stephen Johnson--I think he's saying that his recent best is 10, so I assume goal is 11?
Higgy--10 going for 12
Griftan PR 8 pronated, 11 supinated. Goals of 10 and 15, respectively.
Flexo--PR15. Says his goal is 25, but I'm hoping that's the goal for the year, and that he (or she) will at least get 16 or 17 before the challenge is over. Edit--Flexo re-tested his max, and hit 21. So a 10% increase would be 23, and he wants to get 25. Go for it!
Nevage--can do 24 over 4 sets (neutral grip BW). His goal is 30 in 4 sets, but I'm betting that he can get this right now by changing his approach.

Keep up the work!

Last edited by Jungledoc on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:17 am 

By the way, I haven't been able to train for almost a week. Left home Thursday, traveled for 2 days, limited sleep on airplanes and on a tile floor. But then got to spend a morning zip-lining (not much of a workout, but really fun) and an afternoon white-water rafting. This evening I got to the resort where the conference will be for the next 10 days. There's a gym, but I haven't seen it since I was here last, 4 years ago. I don't remember if there's a chin-up bar, or if I'll have to go looking for a place to improvise. One way or the other, I'll do either a few sets of weighted chin ups or another ladder series tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 pm 

Lets update my goal to 90x5 by the end of the month - I'm not sure why my numbers are going up the way they are, maybe it's the intermittent fasting I've been doing, but I really feel like even 100x5 is achievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 am 

That's great. Awesome, really! Yeah, we'll look for 5 90s from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:50 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ladder today - 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,6

Thats +1

:grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:08 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hit my goal target of 8 hammer chins today. Felt good. I have surgery tomorrow so I'll call next months target 9 for now and I might take 5 or so days off lifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:32 am 

Congratulations! Good luck with the surgery. Hope it's not something that will affect your lifting too much.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next