ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:57 am 
former lurker

Hello everyone.

I am a 28 year old guy who is coming back from a 3 year lay-off from the gym. I used to go to the gym quite a lot, but didn't progress a lot due to my horrible muscle imbalances and years of poor posture, probably attributed to my computer gaming almost a decade at uni sitting down and studying. Thankfully I have just started a job with a lot of walking.

I do not want to make the same mistake this time around. I know I have terrible posture.

Things I already know about my posture:
-Tight Hip Flexors + Weak Glutes
-Anterior Pelvic Tilt
-Excessive Lumbar Lordosis (I look like I have a pregnant belly)
-Hunchback Look
-Head jutting forward
-Rounded shoulders with poor scapular movement
-Weak Core

I have been reading about Neanderthal No More on T-nation, which seems like a good place for me to start, but there are still some aspects to it that I am confused about:

1) It states to precede some sessions with ballistic stretches of hip flexors, hamstrings, erector spinae, IT band and hip abductors. It does not provide any examples of what these may be, and the amount of different ones over the internet confuses me. It also in a lot of places that they can cause injury. I'm unsure whether to do these

2) A lot of other articles suggest foam-rolling before workouts or before bed. It sounds easy in theory but a mate of mine tells me I'm doing it wrong. Theres so many muscle imbalances im unsure where to begin with this or whether to do it at all.

3) I've been reading:
Neanderthal No More on T-nation
A guide to fixing computer guy posture/anterior pelvic tilt on reddit

Im struggling to put it all together into one routine so that I don't screw it up.

I do have a lot of equipment at home. I have a foam roller, mat, olympic barbell + weights, resistance bands etc.

Has anyone gone through NNM and can give me some advice on how they implemented foam rolling with it, or anything I need to do alongside it.

Thanks, Dion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:44 am 

Here is the author's site. www.cresseyperformance.com

I would suggest you contact him and ask. The exercise directory has stretches so you can use that to find examples. I question the ballistic part. There's no harm with dynamic stretching but I can't see ballistics helping in a warmup. Also, foam rolling doesn't seem to be living up to its hype with one exception. Eric has a video called "Thoracic Extensions on Foam Roller ". Look that up.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley