ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Routine for my lazy ass
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've posted on here a couple of times and have had successes with various workouts at various points in my life.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to set up a routine that consists of 3 compound exercises that will cover the basics. I'm mainly interested in putting on some muscle and gaining a bit of strength. I also like the kick of endorphins I get after working out.
I find myself much more motivated to workout when I know I'm only doing a few exercises each time, as opposed to a lot of different exercises for different muscle groups. I end up getting overwhelmed and don't bother even starting.

So is there anything really missing from this routine? I'd take a day off in between, so it'll be Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Day A
Dumbell bench press - 4 sets
Dumbell bent over rows - 4 sets
Barbell Squats - 4 sets

Day B
Dumbell shoulder press - 4 sets
Pullups - 4 sets
Deadlifts - 3-4 sets

Even looking at that program makes working out seem much more achievable than when I see workouts with 5 or more exercises.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:01 am 

You have the basics covered.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:31 am 

the routine looks good.

you could do squats and deadlifts before the other exercises if you think you are not fit enough for good squats/deadlifts anymore after doing the upperbody stuff.

also be careful with 3-4 deadlift sets. could be too hard with the same weight across, but it's okay when you use ramped up sets.

which rep scheme do you want to follow?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks guys.

I'll be doing 10-12 reps of each, because I screwed my back doing squats about a year ago on the 5x5 program (which I followed to a tee)

and I find it easier to keep form with lighter weight. Also, I'm more interested in building size than strength. And because of my lack of fitness, the higher rep range has an aerobic effect which I like.

I take what you say about the deadlifts. I could easily ramp it up over, say, 3 sets. Why would that help out of interest?

I'm bloody weak as piss at the moment so I'm using a band to do assisted pull-ups. It's better than hanging there like an idiot I spose.,