Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Clint's garage gym
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
I'm quite jealous, I'd love a home gym. What sort of dumbells have you got?

nothing special

1 set plastic 8 lb
1 set precast 20 lb
2 pairs of standard bars, seem "standard length"
- 1 set has spin collars
1 pair of power hooks

I went that route rather than buying a ton of separate dbs, which would take up more space.

The decision to have both Oly and Standard Plates was one I considered early; and figured the $$ saved would be worth it. I have an 7' Oly bar and the other bars (6ft, EZ bar, 2 pairs of db handles) are all standard and tie up a considerable amount of plates. Perhaps one day I"ll be one arm snatching and get some Oly Db handles. Long way off.
Getting this was my best decision in 2011

thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:40 pm 

Just, where is your car?

Maybe it would be better if you bought rubber coated plates because they wouldn't rust out...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:22 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Firstly, I want to thank you for your genuine interest in my gym video, transportation needs, and plate quality.

Stefan 93 wrote:
Just, where is your car?
the cars are in the driveway the night I was video taping. The “family car” resides in the garage; when parked, the tires sit about two feet from the edge of the wood floor. There is plenty of room to open the doors. I train without any issues with the car in there. Even after adding the lat attchement, the cage is well away from the car. We keep the other car out on the driveway at all times. The garage never was big enough to try to keep both cars in there, along with other stuff.

Stefan 93 wrote:
Maybe it would be better if you bought rubber coated plates because they wouldn't rust out...
I’m not seeing the video at this time; but if I recall, the “rusty” plates are a couple 10lb standard or a 22lb Oly – which had ruber coating that is tearing off. Oh, yes, and a bit of rust is on t some other standard plates, perhaps. I believe all the rust you see was there when purchased, so I’m hopeful it is not going to get worse (so far it has not). I buy used. In fact I bought the Oly rubber plates, 2-44, 2-33, 2-22, 4-5.5, and 2-2.75 lb plates for $50 total. I did not complain at the time about a bit of rust or torn rubber on one of them. If the rust eats through, I will definitely take that into consideration on future purshases.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:27 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Clint, looks like you and I have a very similar setup, except mine is on the back porch. Here's how I handled my DB thing. I had plenty of smaller O fitting plates, so I got a couple of O sized DB handles. Also, back in the day, I kept my eyes open, and found a big 5 Sporting Goods store going out of business, and they had a pair of the Power Blocks on sale for about half the price or less, so I grabbed them up quickly. They're selectorized for up to 45 lbs in 5 lb increments. Pretty handy things. My bet is if you kept your eyes open, you good probably find a pair at a good price in the local 2nd hand stores, or local personal sales ads. The power blacks were very helpful for the smaller DB work, and the O handles came in handy for heavier stuff, just slap on some 25's. I've tried using the O handles with 35's and 45's, but they don't work all that well. Plates are just to long in radius.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:54 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Please help me choose some handles for the Lat Pullc Down and Low Pull attachment,
D - handles, Tricep Ropes, Single Arm D-Bar... some others I dont know. It came with the short straght bar on the bottom and a long bar on top.
Also, what to look for? Brands, indicators of quality? etc. I dont want to buy everything, or a uni-tasker.

I imagine I'll want to do Face Pulls, Cable Pull throughs, and all sorts or Rows and Pull Downs. Stuff on sale now on Am$zon. Bought some stuff at PlayItAgain, but I paid too much and will be returning. Did pick up 8 1.25# standard plates for $5 though. No Oly plates under 2.5# unfortunately. I can just tie these standard weights on if needed

thanks for help

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:17 am 

I'm a fan of rope. Good for face-pulls, and push-downs. I like D handles for seated rows.