ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joing the reserves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ive been going to the gym for a while in preparation for the reserves (army reserves), as I read online they say theres going to be alot of push ups, pull ups, running, and sit ups.

I was wondering if anyone had joined the army/reserves before and if they had anything to reccommend as far as preparing myself mentally and physically.

as well. any kind of insight into what its like to apart of the army would be appreciated, storys and what have you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

thanks for serving.

I am fortunate we have men and women like you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well, I am too, trying to join the military. I applied for the reserves, finished all the testing and I was going to be sworn in soon. But I sort of have to move back to Ottawa, where I plan on joining the Regular force.

Is this American Reserves? I'm not sure what the difference is between Canadian and the US's army reserves are but Stuward and Tim would be the guys who can help you.

I had to do a step test, where you step up and down on two small stairs. Then they measure your heart rate. Push-ups, atleast 20 and as many sit-ups in 1 mintue. The last test was a grip test.

I would think, just a regular strength training program with some cardio would be enough. Maybe, replace bench press with push-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

its the canadian reserves, and i was told about the the physical requirements, but all the mentioned was to be able to do atleast 20 push ups.

and im doing part time until im going to do basic. then ill go full time hopefully. Just to get it done all in one shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm 

The full test is here: http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/fitnessresv_en.pdf

The link to that document is from this site: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/theapplica ... 06#step6-6

You only need to do 19 push ups but they have to be done correctly. Make sure you do them as described. The push ups are where most people fail the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

I went into the Navy back in 1981, Now Navy bootcamp is probably different in a lot of ways then the Army, and its probably different now then it was. That said we did have to do a lot of PE. Exercise was used as a punishment and used frequently. Before I went in I ran a lot, got into fairly good shape. I also did a lot of pushups, and believe me I did a lot of pushups in bootcamp.

If it were me, I'd run and run some more, I would do what we called 8 count body builders, pushups and pull ups. I doubt you'll be doing any weight training in bootcamp but you will be doing a lot of bodyweight exercises, so that is what I would keep lifting but do a routine heavy in bodyweight exercises.

Good luck and God Bless.