ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keratosis Pilaris
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

For those that dont know what it is, its basically small bumps/blackheads (except their white) usually on the top and back of your arms. The bumps are excess keratin protein in the skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

I'm curious, does anyone here have/had this condition?

I have it (I think), mildly. The doctor looked at it a couple of years ago and told me what it is.
He didn't give me anything for it, stating thers no cure and basically I can scrub it and pick at it!

According to general ignorance, your supposed to get this when your younger and will usually dissapear with age.

It's also Genetic (apparently)

I'm not aware of anyone else in my family that has it. Also, I developed this condition during the past 3 years (started when I was 38). This also coincides with when I picked up my weights and I started consuming lots of protein.

I'm wondering if theres a link?

Seeing as I can be pretty sure most of us here eat/train, anyone else here have the same?

Discuss/ignore as required...

Regards

Rik

Post subject: Re: Keratosis Pilaris
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 pm 

I've got this mainly on my triceps, so does my mum. I also notice that when I'm lifting loads and eating as much asnpossible that it gets worse and spreads to my back and front deltas. doesn't bother me though, it's barely noticeable. I'm 22 and noticed it in my teens.

Post subject: Re: Keratosis Pilaris
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:29 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Nevage wrote:
I've got this mainly on my triceps, so does my mum. I also notice that when I'm lifting loads and eating as much asnpossible that it gets worse and spreads to my back and front deltas. doesn't bother me though, it's barely noticeable. I'm 22 and noticed it in my teens.

yes, I have it on my front delts too.

Threre are quite a few forums out there that discuss KP and a lot of talk centers around diet. Nothing much in the lifting community though, which suprises me a little. Concidering a lot of lifters are lifting to look good naked etc...the whole image thing.

Some sufferers claim Grains and Gluten is to blame. They report some success, but to be fair, these people have it really bad and dont seem to have complete results. My wife is Gluten intolerant and therfore doesn't eat ANY grains/Gluten and she has it too.

I've just tried moisturising using Tea Tree Oil. Theres a theory out there that it could be caused by an overpopulation of demodex mites (which we apparently all have living on us) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodex

Tea Tree Oil is supossed to kill them. Trouble is that to see any improvement, I guess you have to wait for the skin to renew which could take weeks.