ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:22 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey guys.

I have long heard the virtues, extolled from on high regarding deads, squats etc.

I have made the classic error of starting with isolation excercises. Now I want to focus on compound excercises. (Wrong way round I know!)

My problem is, I have lower back issues. Namely, Lordosis. This means when I deadlift, even using good form with managable weight, I get a stiff, compressed back. I have no problem with benches (I can push the small of my back in to the bench). I used to do overhead press, but as you can imagine this only contributed to my back issue, too.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:58 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

drop everything that hurts and read some core articles by a guy called Mike Robertson. They'll teach you how to strengthen up your core and get hip flexibility so you can do stuff like deads pain free.

I'm in the same boat as you, and that's what I've been doing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14 am 

Mark Rippetoe tells that we should all deadlift with lordotic extension, so I don't know if that is the problem...
But you should definetly strenghten those parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks guys.

Rob I saw your thread about your sore back. I have been doing crunches to assist my core, but I need to start doing planks too. Is there an example of a squat with good extension somewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:04 pm 

Have you read the Robertson articles yet? There are at least 3 on T Nation that should be helpful. Crunches could be making the problem worse.

If you are already lordotic, you will have to modify some of the advice that you usually get about deadlifting. Since most people tend to try to do this with a rounded, kyphotic lumbar spine, the standard advice is to get a "good arch" or something similar. If you are already lordotic, and then you try your best to get a good arch, you will be in hyperextension when you lift. No one advocates deadlifting in hyperextension, but with a neutral lumbar spine. Get a friend to take some video of you from the side when you are doing moderate-weight DLs and see if you are really lifting with a neutral spine or if you are over-doing it.

The core is the key here, and the Robertson articles are very good on the subject. But not only do you need to HAVE good core strength, you need to learn how to USE your core strength. When you DL (or squat, or overhead press for that matter) your core needs to be tight and stiff. That includes all of your "abs", and your low back. Imagine that somebody walks up to you and slugs you in the belly. How do you react as soon as you see the punch coming? That's it. That's what you should do as pretty much the last thing before starting to pull your DL. Hold the core tight like that until you put the bar down. That, of course, means holding your breath throughout the rep, which opens up all the old arguments about breathing, but I think that's the best way for most people to DL.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah...looks like crunches would make it worse :frown:

Which leaves me with...just planks :frown:

I wonder if; if done correctly, the deadlift or something similar could help strengthen the back and reduce my extension?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:56 am 

Neurosis wrote:

I wonder if; if done correctly, the deadlift or something similar could help strengthen the back and reduce my extension?

yup, everything you said there is pretty much correct.

Just be careful deadlifting, you want to wait til you're pain free and then be VERY strict with your form. Don't rush it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 pm 

Neurosis wrote:

Typicly with lordosis, the lower back and hip flexors are tight and the glutes and abs are weak. Planks, done correectly, will strengthen the abs. You also need to do glute bridges or other glute specific exercises. Deadlifts are definately helpful, but you need to keep the focus on the muscles that matter. Your lower back is for stability but the movement should come from the glutes.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 pm 

yeah I should have probably said that in my post. It's not so much a matter of strengthening your back, but strengthening your glutes, hamstrings and abs.