ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squats and technique
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Over the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing a great deal of pain in my groin area that radiates down the inner thigh. On Friday it was so painful I could not squat with the 85#s I was supposed to use. There is no pain after or on the way down it is just on the way up.

I looked at the squat information in one of the stickies and decided I would really work on form and cut back on the weight. I deloaded to 45 and was able to get a nice low squat with no pain. I am practicing with is keeping my weight back rather than forward. This seems to increase my stability and enables me to get low in the squat. With the new technique I am working harder with 45# than I did with the 85#.

One problem that seems to keep happening is my upper quads seem more engaged than my glutes. I have tried different stances but the quads keep doing the work. Not sure why this is or how I fix it. I try contracting and keeping my core and lower body tight.

bench 100
DL 175

Post subject: Re: Squats and technique
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

My guess, without seeing, is that your feet are too close together - quad activation rather than glute.

As for your inner thigh pain - you might be torqueing or favoring one side. I do it occasionally when I get lazy with my form. Really concentrate on being balanced and not favoring one side.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I currently have groin pull/strain which fortunately is getting better but it's really slow to heal. It started when I tried powerlifting where I squatted low bar and deadlifted sumo style.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:22 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
but it's really slow to heal
Perhaps I have a prior injury.

Quote:
ou might be torqueing or favoring one side. I do it occasionally when I get lazy with my form. Really concentrate on being balanced and not favoring one side.
I may be favoring my left. It was noted in a prior video. I think it was a wise move to go down in weight and practice form. I was really surprised about my ability to now control 45#. I have tried a wider stance but don't see much different perhaps not quite wide enough.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:42 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

My left leg is weaker because of the recycled knee, when I'm close to my limit it's easy to notice me shifting the weight on the good leg, but it doesn't hurt so maybe you have some kind of small injury. It can't be big otherwise you wouldn't be able to squat 45 with no pain either.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... scle_Pulls

^ worked for me after the acute phase was over.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:08 pm 

The_dog_mom wrote:
One problem that seems to keep happening is my upper quads seem more engaged than my glutes.

The squat is basically a quad exercise, and the quads will always be more involved than the glutes. Things like a wider stance will increase glute involvement, but they will always be synergists.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I was watching the "So You Think You Can Squat?" series of videos again recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF9QD7oCIA

They take someone, have him squat and give him some tips on technique. Right at the end of the videos, he tries to do a GHR on the special bench - and just squeezes out one. I don't bring this up because I think you need help with technique, but I get what you're saying about the movement seeming to be all about quads since I have the same problem.

I wonder if a big part of adapting to wide stance back squats is getting the required strength in the posterior chain. I can break technique slightly, sit down more, and do the exercise, even with some good weight, but with strict "sit back" form I get random aches and pains like you describe. I don't think I can do a GHR on a bench either, but by the weight I can (front) squat and the size of my quads you would probably guess otherwise.

At the moment I'm thinking its just a case of engaging those muscles until they start doing their job better. Because I have some decent strength in my legs, it feels really stupid going far below max effort, but the only other option is to re-enforce that crap technique further and cheat by making quads do all the work, which can't be good.

So yeah, it seems we're both dropping the weight and practicing form at the moment. I can't think of anything better to do about it!