ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:38 am 
I'm considering replacing Seated Military Presses with either Hang Clean/Presses or Hang Snatches (or possibly both). I'm new to both exercises, so I'm gonna start light to learn proper form. However, I'm not sure exactly how light I should go. Should I start out with just a 45 lb bar, or is that too light? Would I be better off starting with a somewhat more challenging weight?

Of course, I'll be able to press far more than I can clean in the beginning, but I'm not too worried about front delts since they get some work from benching, and are much more developed than my side delts anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:41 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Guest was me.

Matt Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:04 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Matt, here is some good info for you on the mechanics if you don't already have it.
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/ARTOL.htm
As to where to start, an unloaded Oly bar would probably be fine for the hang clean and presses, but you will probably find that your shoulder girdle is a bit tight for the snatch given what I know of your background. Due to the wide grip, and the bar having to go above and a bit behind your head, I'd recommend starting out with either a PVC pipe or an unloaded standard bar (given the mfr, anywhere from 10-18 lbs).
Good training
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:15 pm 

Actually, my shoulders are pretty flexible, since I do a fair amount of stretching. Also, I've done both Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo, so I've had to wiggle out of a lot of armbars and shoulder locks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:17 pm 

I'm actually more concerned that the wide grip on snatches might bother my wrists once I start using heavier weights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:52 pm 

Well, sounds like your good to go then. I'd still recommend starting each workout light. Add weight as you feel comfortable with the movement. As to the wrists, well , from personal experience, it has never bothered my wrists. Also, the wrists are an integral part in the movement.When you pull, think elbows up and slightly back, and at the top of the pull, you whip your forearms up and whip the wrists back to get the bar overhead. Coming down, let the wrists bend down then drop the foreams. It's kind of a wrist workout in itself. Aain, take it slow and go by feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:02 pm 

I have also never had problems with my wrists.

Experiment with having your hands in different places as I used to go all the way out to the collars but found it easier if I stayed a little more inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:24 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

odd, my shoulder girdle is rather tight but I get little problems when I snatch or overhead squat but I start getting lots of impingement type pain when I try push press (seated millitary is usually ok though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:32 am 
Hmmm ... I noticed my left shoulder felt a little funny doing Hang Snatches today. It wasn't painful, just uncomfortable, similar to what I used to get doing upright rows or behind-the-neck presses. Anyway, I may end up dropping these. I don't want to take any chances with my shoulders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:38 am 

Before I do any type of snatching, I always do some dislocates with the warm up. Using a towel or wooden dowel or PVC pipe, I start with a wide grip, holding the implement hanging down in front of me, then with straight arms, raise it over my head, and then let it down behind me. Loosens up the shoulder area. Works well in conjuction with overhead squats with an empty bar, but if the feelings persist, you may want to just drop them, or do something along the lines of the cuban roll/press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:47 am 
I don't think it's a flexibility problem. If anything my shoulders sometimes feel too loose, as if the bones are rubbing against each other. For example, if I use too wide a grip on chins/pulldowns (to the front) my shoulder joints click and pop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:51 am 

I'm definitely dropping the Hang Snatches. Both my shoulder joints were a little stiff and soar when I went to bed last night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:29 pm 

Some of you might think I'm being kind of a wimp about this. However, I feel that if I pay attension to and address minor aches and pains, I can minimize wear and tear, and avoid serious injurys.

Also, I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. For example, I once had a ruptured appendix and didn't know it. I thought I was just constipated, which turned out to be bloating from gangreen setting in. Fortunately, I did go to the hospital and get checked out before things progressed too far, but it still took me months to fully recover.

My point is that if I wait until I'm in serious pain, I may already be in pretty bad shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 pm 

Nobody is saying anything Matt. I see too many people with terrible form. Learning to do it right and doing it right consistantly, as you know is more important than anything. You aren't out there to impress anyone. F'em if they don't like it. BTW, have you tried standing presses and why are you abandoning seated presses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:53 am 
I used to do standing military presses, before I switched to seated. I like doing military presses seated because there's less of a temptation to cheat sitting down. I only stopped doing seated military presses because I started working out at a new gym, and don't like the shoulder press bench there. The seatback isn't adjustable, and the uprights are really far back, so it's very akward to unrack and rerack the bar, unless your using a really wide grip (I prefer a fairly narrow grip).