ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 pm 
former lurker

first question has to do wiht the lower back, is it too much to squat and dead lift on the same day? will that hurt my lower back? on my upper body days i dont do anything that targets the lower back, i dont even do cable rows , i do the straight back type of row

second question is what do you think of non linear periodization

my plan was light/heavy days changing ever 2-4 weeks like so

week 1-2
monday: 3 sets of 6 reps upper body
tuesday: 3 sets of 10 lower body
wed: cardio
thurs: 3 sets of 10 upper body
friday: 3 sets of 6 lower body
sat and sun off

and then change it perhaps to 1-2 weeks of 3x3 and 3x6 and/or do 3x3 and 3x15, then take a week off and start the cycle again?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

To the DL plus Squats in the same session, well, it all depends on the intensity, but in general, I'd say no. Although one is quad dominant, the other hip dominant, they both hit the lower back quite hard, and I wouldn't recommend it.
Your juggling of the reps, percentages making heavy light, sounds like a lot of stuff I've read from Poliquin and Ian King, and have tried. I think its a great idea, and do a lot of that myself. Give it a shot.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:27 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I echo Tim.

Maybe, if I may go beyond my pay scale present this idea:

If you are at the training age where Squats and Deads on the same day still make sense, then you may not need the fanciness of periodization. Not saying it hurts progress, but you wont find that in beginner programs which are desiged straight forward for strength
Now, if you're advanced enough to benefit from the fancy rep/set swapparoos, then there's a good chance you dont want to be deadlifting and squatting on same day.

My source: common country sense

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:38 pm 

3x6 and 3x10 ain't that different. I'd go 3x3 one day and 4 or 5x5-10 the other.

Yeah, like Oscar asked, where are you in terms of training age? Why do you think you need a periodized program? If you're still gaining from a linear program, I'd stick with it.