ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Deltoid Builders?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Can the Bent-Over Row be used as a rear delt exercise?

Can the Rear Delt Row be used as a general back exercise?

I want to target the rear deltoids as well as the upper back in my fullbody workout, but I don't know which exercises I should do...

Should I incorporate both exercise in the same workout?

Lets say I were to do one of the exercise, 6 sets, would it be effective for back and rear delt development to do 3 sets of each exercise? or do I still do 6 sets of each?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So you are wanting to do 6 total sets for your back? In that case how about 3 bent over rows, 2 pulldowns/pullups/chins, and 1 rear delt row. The thing with bent over rows is if you bend more and lift the bar further up like just below the pecs, it doesn't get the lats much, but it hits the rear delts pretty hard. If you stand up a little higher then normal and go just above the waist, it is more of a lat exercise, doesn't get the rear delts much, and does a bit less for the traps. It is a versatile exercise that can be done different ways for different goals. In my example I suggest the standard form.

With full body you probably don't want to do much for front and rear delts. for shoulders concentrate most of your efforts on the upper traps and the side delts. Those are the muscles that don't get worked with chest and back exercises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:46 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Just a few comments to add on to Ironman's.
1. If you are doing full body, IMO, the best strategy would be to use mostly the major compound moves, that target mutltiple groups, rather than to focus in on rear or front deltoids. Get the most bang for your buck.Pullups and bent rows do just that. As to the rear delts, they get plenty of work with rows. As to the front delts, they're more than covered by front and bench presses of various angles.
2. The back is very complex, and is responsible for many functions. One exercise won't come close to covering it. I like to break it down in terms of movement.
Shoulder elevation, mostly the traps but with many synergists. Thinks shrugs, cleans, presses, etc.
Downward shoulder movement, mainlythe lats, with many synergists. Think chins, pullups.
Scapula retraction, main rhomboids, teres,again , many synergists. Think rows.
Erectors-flexation of the spine, and working isometrically, keeps the spine in line and tight. Think Deadlifts
When doing full body, it reall isn't necessary to do them all in one session, maybe spread them out over 2-3 sessions.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:40 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks guys!

Considering the complexity of the back, would this fullbody workout help target every muscle group?

-----------------------------------------------------
- Flat Bench Press (4 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Bent-over Row (4 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Incline Bench Press (4 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Chin-up/pull-up (4 sets, 6-8 reps) - 2 sets, chin-up, 2 sets pull-up
- Full Squat Clean (6 sets, 6-8 reps)

I'm hoping the Full Squat Clean will cover the legs, erectors-flexation and shoulder elevation, as mentioned in TimD's reply.

Am I benching too much?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:55 am 

Actually, I like it, seems to cover everthing. However, it might be a bit heavy on the benching. You could always solve that by doing
the flat bench and row one day, do the incline and chinups on another day. If you need more, throw in some DB overhead presses in every other session or so, I would lead off ith the full squat clean though, that takes a lot of energy.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:19 am 
Novice
Novice

sounds good....

what about this? (AB Workout)

Workout A:
- Flat Bench Press (6 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Bent-over Row (6 sets, 6-8 reps)

* If I have enough energy:
- Bicep Curl (4 sets, 10-12 reps)
- Lateral Raise (4 sets, 10-12 reps)

Workout B:
- Incline Bench Press (6 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Chin-up/pull-up (6 sets, 6-8 reps) - 3 sets, chin-up, 3 sets pull-up

* If I have enough energy:
- Bicep Curl (4 sets, 10-12 reps)
- Lateral Raise (4 sets, 10-12 reps)

Should I add those 2 isolation exercises at the end?

I'm afraid I won't have enough energy left for DB OVerhead Presses, so lateral raises may be the choice.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:35 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Looks okay to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:50 am 

Yep, looks real good. IF you have the energy left over, then go for a couple of sets for 1-3 auxilliary exercises. Just don't wipe out the gas tank.
One other note on the squat clean. I'm getting older these days, and have some arthritus issues, and I find it a bit uncomfortable to jump under a heavy bar anymore these days, and a powerclean/front squat combination is just as good. Just use whatever your technique ability allows you to do comfortably.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks!

Does that mean the Rear Delt Row isn't neccessary? or should I alternate between rear delt row and bent-over row every workout? (ex: week 1: rear-delt row, week 2: bent-over row, etc)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:01 pm 

Had to look it up to see exactly what you were describing. From what I see in the Eand M directory, here on the site, it is a bit different in angles, with a slightly different focus, but it is still a basic compound move, that gets a lot of muscle. I see no reason why you couldn't alternate them, and in fact, think it might be a good idea. You could either do several weeks of the bent rows, then several weeks of rear delt row, or alternate them when the scheduled day comes up. I don't think it would really matter, just your personal preference.
Tim