ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About Fatigue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:56 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I've been studying human energy consumption and fatigue during an weightlifting exercise a couple of days now. With the simplest theories about energy production(Not sure if the term is correct) I have no problem. I'm talking about the muscle creating ATP from KP, carbs, glycogen and glucose when in anaerobic state. But then when it comes the fatigue of the muscle and nervous-system...Well, lets just say a lot of the stuff goes over my head for now. But that's okay, I do not yet have to know every single detail. As long as I know the theory behind the consept of fatigueness I'm okay. So, the main point seems to be that there is no one theory about the issue. There is CNS fatigue and local fatigue. And everyhting is pretty much based on chemical reactions and the impulse from the central nervous system. I get it.

But I hapenned to stumble across on an article from elitefts called "Strength 101: Part II – The Methods of Strength Development". I read it, the text was good and simple. When I got to the fatigue part, the section "Common Factors Limiting Strength Gains", I was left wondering. I was not okay with it. There is a lot of good things there, but I have something I'd like to ask.
Why did'nt the article mention one of the easiest and a pretty important factor in anaerobic training: Glycolysis. Okay, the whole consept is pretty wide, but shortly with glycolysis the body produces energy and ATP without oxygen by turning glucose into pyruvic acid and eventually to lactic acid. What I've been told for ages, and what I have myself many times learned and studied, it's the lactic acid and the lack of oxygen that has a big part on the endurance and performance of the muscle. Maybe this is not the only truth and certainly not the only reason why muscle fatigues, but I think it should atleast be mentioned, as the article only mentions some depletion of glycogen. The things the writer of this article is talking about are going far off to more complicated and especially, more hazy and unstudied/unresearched topics, which is why I got confused.

Am I wrong? Ain't glycolysis a pretty important factor on what it comes to anaerobic training. Okay, so it doesn't work so well with quick maximium sets, but more on hypertrophy and max strength with somewhere around 5 or more reps. The terms might somewhere be a bit wrong, as this is the first time I've translated this chemistry into english. As finnish, we know this type of anaerobic training as hapeton maitohapollinen energiantuotto(roughly translated as Anaerobic lactic acid energy production)