ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:14 am 
n00b
n00b

This is my first post, and I'm looking for some comments and/or advice on my next routine. I'm 27 and I've lifted since HS for sports. On and off in my 20s, but I took the time to dedicate myself the last 9 months or so at the gym, and I've reached some of my goals. However, I also think I'm plateauing at this point, and would also like to focus on other parts of my body.

My last routine I wanted to concentrate on my chest and shoulders. I didn't do legs b/c I ran, but that's part of what I'm changing. I did pretty much 4 sets of everything, and usually increased weight each set except for biceps/triceps. Anyway, 3 days a week:

Chest
Incline Press
Flat Press
Incline Fly
Flat Fly
Decline Fly

Shoulders/Back
Shrugs
Shoulder Press
Pull Ups-sometimes Pull Downs
Seated Rows
Reverse Fly
Back Extensions w/o weight

Bicep/Tricep
Flat Bar Curls/Hammer Curls-super set
Bent Bar Curls/Rope Curls-super set
Seated Tricep Press/Seated Tricep Dips-super set
Tricep Rope Pull Downs

So I was happy with this routine, but anything you guys can offer or critique would be cool. My next routine I wanna incorporate legs and try to focus on my upper chest. here's what I'm thinking:

Upper Chest/Shoulders
Shoulder Press
Incline Press
Incline Fly
Front Raises
Side Raises

Lower Chest/Dips
Flat Press
Flat Flay
Dips
Decline Fly
Skull Crushers
Rope Pull Downs

Back/Shoulders/Bicep
Pull Upss
Seated Rows
Reverse Fly
Pull Downs
Bicep Superset (not sure what yet)
Shrugs

Legs/Lower Back
Dead Lifts
Leg Press
Lungs
Calf Press
Lower Back Extensions

If you took the time to read all of this, thanks! Like I said, anything you guys can comments on or advice would be awesome. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:59 am 

You have a huge amount of pushing, and very little pulling.

If the leg press, lunge and calf press are just preparatory to squatting, fine. But don't wait too long to switch them in. I'd rather see you squatting from the beginning. Too great an exercise not to include.

I'm assuming (from your workout designs) that your goal is hypertrophy and physique. If so, you need (I can't believe I'm saying this)... some (I can just barely get it out)... curls. There. (That really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.) Is that what the biceps superset will be? I hope so.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:24 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Jungledoc wrote:
You have a huge amount of pushing, and very little pulling.
Yeah, its from spliting up the chest days. I wonder if a

Heavy Pull + Lite Push
Lite Pull + Heavy Push
Legs split

makes more sense here,

Jungledoc wrote:
If the leg press, lunge and calf press are just preparatory to squatting, fine. But don't wait too long to switch them in. I'd rather see you squatting from the beginning. Too great an exercise not to include.
Seems with Deads and the othe leg work, he's hitting it ok. But I'll defer to you. And, of course personally, Squats are my main exercise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 am 
n00b
n00b

thanks for the response guys!

the push/pull difference is mainly b/c i'm splitting up chest into upper and lower. chest has always been my weak point, so i try to do chest as much as i can.

as far as squats-i didn't include them b/c i feel like when i do leg press i hit the same muscles as when i squat. squating, however, seems to work your core more than leg press so i may consider switching to squats after a few weeks.

and curls-yes, the bicep superset will be two variations of curls. i dunno, i feel like i hit my biceps pretty well when i do back exercies, so i dont over do it when it comes to curls.

and yes, basically my goal is to increase size, but do it w/ lean muscle. when i take long periods of time away from the gym my weight actually decreases, so i usually lift heavy to try to keep on the weight. anything you guys can offer as far as putting on lean muscle as opposed to bulky muscle would be helpful. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

synergy wrote:
anything you guys can offer as far as putting on lean muscle as opposed to bulky muscle would be helpful. Thanks!

dont over eat
eat enough
be patient

Try IF.

I'll ignore the part where you distinguish "bulky" and "lean" muscle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:27 pm 
n00b
n00b

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I'll ignore the part where you distinguish "bulky" and "lean" muscle

lol why?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

At first glance, i thought ol' Oscar was trolling again. But he's not. There is NO difference between muscle. Lean muscle tissue is lean muscle tissue, period. What distinguishes lean vs bulky is the amount of bodyfat you have on the inside and/or outside.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 pm 

Lean is the opposite of fat, not bulky. The opposite of bulky is skinny. You can be big and lean or you could be skinny and fat.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:51 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

you have an 8:3 ratio of pressing to pulling. If you want to have any shoulders left this time next year, I would change that.

Also, another negative of that much more pushing to pulling is your shoulders are going to round forward like Quasimodo. If your shoulder posture is terrible (which it will be after that routine) then your chest will actually look smaller. Also bad.

One more thing I don't like, is you appear to be training chest 2 days in a row. This is bad. Your chest won't have time to recover, which can actually make it shrink! Which is good... just kidding, it's really, really bad!

But not to worry, I plan to rescue you. If you have 4 days to devote to training, then you should split your training up like this:

Day A
Horizontal push/horizontal pull (bench and row)
accessory exercise for chest
accessory exercise for upper back
Lateral Delts
Triceps

Day B
Leg Exercise (Hip emphasis, ie deadlifts, romanian deadlift etc)
Quad accessory (Lunge, split squat etc)
Calves
Abs

Day C
Vertical Push/Vertical Pull (shoulder press and chins)
Accessory exercise push (could be another chest exercise or close grip press)
Accessory exercise upper back (same as day A or different, up to you)
Rear Delts
Biceps

Day D
Leg Exercise (quad dominant, so squats or leg press if you really must, but squats are better)
Hip/Hamstring Accessory (GHRs, leg curls, step ups etc)
Calves
Abs

Boom, there you go. Notice there is ever so slightly more pulling than pushing (your shoulders'll thank me) and that everything gets trained twice, with a day or two to recover between workouts. There is no better split than this. If you have 4 days to train then this is the way to go.

enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:18 pm 

I try hard as hell not to give advice, I've seen it go wrong too often. But I cant help but give a thumbs up to RobertScott's workout. If you're going to split into body parts there's alot worse ways to go. I would suggest facepulls for your upper back pull and some pushup variation for your chest accessory (paired with a heavy DB press).

Also... I am probably the worst person to ask about working calves, mine are huge and I dont do anything specifically "for" them. That said, I would suggest a farmers walk instead of specialized calf work.

Also think about some single leg variations on the deadlift and squat.

Okay, that's it, I'm going to shut up now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks for the response everyone! great routine rob...although i was going for the quasimodo look lol j/k. also, just to clarify, i wasnt planning on doing chest two days in a row, its just how i wrote it. but anyway...

Accessory exercise push-incline bench press?

how do you feel about back extensions on a roman chair? day D?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:23 pm 

incline press is a fine choice for your accessory work. I would personally do it with dumbells, you'll feel it more in your chest that weay

back extensions are ok I guess but they're not really necessary. Your erectors are getting hammered during squats and deads anyway but if you want to do them there's no harm. Just make sure you are squatting and deadlifting FIRST (squatting/deadlifting with a fatigued back is suicide).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:05 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Bob,
I'm evolving to that. For now, 4 days week. But I do Legs 3 days, and Vertical Pull at least some every day. Anyway, I"m between 3 days per week full body and 4 day split... so like your suggested program, but more toward the Full Body on the continuum

Khronos
Wish you would give advice. It's up to the user to try it or ignore it and assess its value for his particular situation. IF nothing else, some of us get to hear the ramblings of a strong ass lifter. That can't hurt. Heck, I try to give advice. Some say that's stupid for fat weaklings to give advice. But, if I get my thoughts out there, it allows others to slap them down