ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

i'm working on learning the clean and press, and trying to get the form right. however one thing i see often makes me curious. i often see right after the clean movement a lot of extraneous knee bends and otherwise bouncing movements. this is prior to progressing into the push press. do these serve any function? in fact, couldn't you just use the last part of the clean movement to launch the weight directly into the push press?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:05 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

s0d4c4n wrote:
i often see right after the clean movement a lot of extraneous knee bends and otherwise bouncing movements. this is prior to progressing into the push press. do these serve any function?

Could you give an example (a vid or something)?

s0d4c4n wrote:
in fact, couldn't you just use the last part of the clean movement to launch the weight directly into the push press?

Yes you can, but many opt for a breather. Also this isn't a legal move in olympic weightlifting.

BTW in the original competition clean and press, you must use a strict press.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:50 am 
n00b
n00b

here is a video of one person who consistently adds an extra bounce. it seems when he straightens at the end of the clean, he launches the weight in the air and then bends his knees as he re-racks it. even at the end when he doesn't have the strength to launch it immediately from the clean, he seems to go to the trouble of deliberately doing one or more "bounces" before initiating the push press.

UDVDTPy_NYQ

i'm not sure what the pros and cons are of the strict olympic version versus what i'm doing. the main reason i settled on a push press is that my straight overhead press is much, much weaker than what i can clean. i'm not sure if that is normal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:03 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

On that vid, the bouncing at the end of the (power) clean is from the upward momentum especially when the weight used is light and you shrug it up at the end. His are indeed a bit exaggerated but it's fine (in comps the barbell must be jerked/pressed from a dead stop).

You certainly can use push press or push jerk if you wish if you want to lift heavier weight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

ok, thanks!