ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:57 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey guys,
I plan on starting an exercise science undergrad program in the fall and was just wondering what some of you guys that work in the ES/EP field thought about these 2 schools.

USF is part of the Big East Conference and is starting to become "brand name". University of Tampa on the other hand is a division II school and their baseball team just won a national championship.

With this kind of degree, exercise science/physical education, should the caliber of a schools athletic teams have anything to do with the type of education I recieve? I guess what I really want to know is, will I be missing out on anything (educational) if I choose to go to a smaller school?

I know this is really dumb but I'm the first person in my family to ever attempt to even go to college, so later on down the road after I get my degree and someones asks where I went to school I'd prefer if they say "oh yeah, I've heard of that school" as opposed to "I never heard of it" or "I never knew there was a school there."
I know it's stupid and I shouldn't worry what other people think but I guess I'm just proud of myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:18 am 

My friends and I were just talking about this last night.

As an example, out here in California, the sate schools have better programs to prepare you for Physical therapy schools than do the UC's because the PT schools are at the state schools.

You should look at the individual program you are interested in. I would say that the quality of the sports team has the LEAST to do with how good the degrees are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:27 pm 
n00b
n00b

I know that in general the athletics dont have any thing to do with the education I'll recieve but I was thinking that a bigger athletic school might spend more money on the lab facilities for exercise science and physical education because these majors are sport, health, exercise related. I know that for athletic training/sports medicine you'll get more hands training at schools that are in the ACC or the big East as opposed to being an athletic training student at a private D-II catholic school. Is it the same for exercise science?

My hope is that maybe I'll get a chance to work with some of the D-I athletes in a lab setting, maybe on stress test or in a strentgh/conditioning class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:52 pm 

My suggestion is to look into this on a case by case basis as there is probably no way to tell in general.

A lot of the larger universities are mor einto research than practical training so it may actually be worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ryan A wrote:
My suggestion is to look into this on a case by case basis as there is probably no way to tell in general.

A lot of the larger universities are mor einto research than practical training so it may actually be worse.

Good point. USF is one of the nations largest research universities, so I'll look into that.