ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this deep to you?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I got into all 3 links, no problem. Also, as to his being a pimp, well, he's just trying to pass on some pretty good info. I didn't see any sales going on over there.
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:43 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

But were you abl to view the videos?
those are the links to which I referred.

And I mean pimp ina good way. I'm a major fan of Wolf. I pimped him early. And made no money off of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am a founding father of GUS...but GUS is a totally free site. So I'm not promoting anything which is helping some else economically. Everything on GUS is totally free. Free. All of Eric's ebooks, etc. It's all free. So is the forum and such. There is zero money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:41 am 

OZ, as Bobby calls you, I guess you're right. I guess I got lucky with the first video I called up and got into. Most of the other videos are coming up removed or private.
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:48 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

That error should not exist. I will send Eric and email about that right away. In any case, we're creating a set of mobility drills this upcoming weekend. I will repost the links here in a week or so.

Before that, here is one of my old videos which I still use because I still do these drills today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aayQfxSWw8c

Joe DeFranco's Sample Drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA0-IatUrY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:29 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi, guys, Tim, sorry about the broken videos. Wolf, actually, already knew about this but he is forgetful. I have not bothered to replace them because we will be making our own new videos and each will have it's own page and explanation. The old links will redirect to the new list. There will be no need for anyone to post new links. Sorry about the problems. No, there are no pimps working for me! But hey, being a pimp is better than being a "twat" or a "fag..t" which, according to some other board I just saw this morning, is what I am, lol.

On the knee caving in issue, I would recommend to do actual squatting drills rather than general mobility drills. There is kind of this myth that general mobility drills will just magically correct all your specific flaws during squatting, etc. They are "general" if you catch my drift. The best way to correct a specific flaw is to of course do the specific movement. For squats you just need to learn to open the hips and squat down "between the knees". Overhead squat drills help a lot and carry over greatly to any other squat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:16 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

welcome Eric
Would you give us a 3 sentence summary of who you are?
Yes, I know you blog at GUS. Why shoudl we pay attention to you?

not trying to be a jerk, really interested. And a jerk, but not in this case.

and welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:13 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the welcome. You mean like why should you listen to my opinion that I just gave? I don't really think that is up to me to convince you to listen to me by any other route than the soundness with which I present myself. I express myself honestly and try explain myself thoroughly, when called on to do so. If I do a good job at that then who I am shouldn't matter, as the validity of my arguments and the logic of my explanations should be all the convincing most people need, if they can be convinced. Given, belief perseverance ensures that all the valid arguments and evidence in the world will not sway certain people from their beliefs.

As I see it, although I wanted to apologize for the messed up videos, having just joined this board, I am just another member and I have no wish for everyone to accept my qualifications and listen to me based on any body else's word or some summary given by me of who I am. If I become active, I will do what I said above and if people here decide, at some point, I am worth listening to, good. If not, I am not in the business of needing everyone to take my advice or think I am a guru. Course if you do listen to me you'll get really strong. :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:37 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I see you point.

But, lets say I dont' give bad advice. But what I lack is experience and independent research. I am a collection of what you want us to see you as. It's nice to also have some independent "credentials".. such as.. "I train BPIFC" or "I won Mr California 1986". If you are a well read well spoken blogger who assemble good studies and susses the data, well that's good too; but its doesn't tell me to "pay more attention"
You come highly touted by Wolf, who looks more like Gorilla. So thats a good start.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:51 pm 

Welcome Eric. Oscar has a twisted sense of humor, so kind of just disregard it when he seems to get curt with you. For some reason, he does that to most newbies, even though he is one himself. Again, welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:09 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

maybe that's why my wife gets mad so fast whenever I start asking questions. I have a hard time with delicate, or polite?, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:10 pm 

I'll listen Eric, and welcome. I'd be nowhere without the advice from others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

EricTroy wrote:
If I become active, I will do what I said above and if people here decide, at some point, I am worth listening to, good. If not, I am not in the business of needing everyone to take my advice or think I am a guru. Course if you do listen to me you'll get really strong. :grin:

Damn straight :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:19 pm 

I think my curiosity is just about a few details of who you are--I'll make up my mind about your expertise as we go along, and as I start to read your blog. Most of us know what work the others do, about how long they have been training, and why they train. We know a bit about families and life outside the gym. Not a lot--that stuff isn't critical, but it is fun for the social side of things.

Oscar really is an actuary, although he didn't train to be one. I really am a doctor, and I did train to be one. Ironman, however, is not really made of iron. Ken's son plays the piano. Matt's daughter does not, but she will accomplish something great soon. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 am 

EricTroy wrote:
Hi, guys, Tim, sorry about the broken videos. Wolf, actually, already knew about this but he is forgetful. I have not bothered to replace them because we will be making our own new videos and each will have it's own page and explanation. The old links will redirect to the new list. There will be no need for anyone to post new links. Sorry about the problems. No, there are no pimps working for me! But hey, being a pimp is better than being a "twat" or a "fag..t" which, according to some other board I just saw this morning, is what I am, lol.

On the knee caving in issue, I would recommend to do actual squatting drills rather than general mobility drills. There is kind of this myth that general mobility drills will just magically correct all your specific flaws during squatting, etc. They are "general" if you catch my drift. The best way to correct a specific flaw is to of course do the specific movement. For squats you just need to learn to open the hips and squat down "between the knees". Overhead squat drills help a lot and carry over greatly to any other squat.

That's what I do. I am dropping the weight when I squat to correct my form my spotter now makes sure my knees don't cave in and I also make sure they don't cave in. Since I was told I did that I corrected it. The highest weight lifted though was only 315 for a set of 8. Maintaining correct form is harder then I would have thought.

Kyle Chandler