Would it be so horrible just to do 5/3/1?
He took my line.
It would be if I wanted to train shoulders, legs, back, etc more than 2x a week, AFAIK.
And as far as rest goes, Don't think of it as training legs three times per week, think of it as not training legs 4 days per week. I mean, SS has legs 3 days per week.
If I don't go heavy Squatting each Full Body day, I can get adequate recovery, I figure.
As the program should imply, my recovery and progress necessitates, something between 5/3/1 and SL.
Here's what I wanted and how this evolved, and believe me, it evolved.
Not in order of importance
1. 3 day/wk was not enough activity, I'm an office geek and am wound too tight. Working out is therapuetic
2. More days lifting means more days improving conditioning and getting to eat lots of meat
3. I (and this has been a long time in the making) like having set days for lifting. So, by using splits, I could train 2 days in a row, facilitating 4 days/wk.
4. I like deadlifting 1/wk, Squatting Heavy 2x, along with some Single Leg Work, and Additonal Glute/Ham work. But my conditioning/capacity doesn't seem to be to the point where I can hit it hard enough all on the same night to need more than 72 hours off
5. Regarding Upper Body, I'm not to the point where I stress the Pulling and Pushing muscles enough to warrant doing it only 2x week. Furthermore, with back, chest, shoulders, and arms, it may work better for me to utilize 3 days, rather than 2.
Mainly, just goes to I want to hit many parts more than 2x week. And my progression is still linear on some stuff and not on other.
The 4 different full body days are not all that differnt. On Upper, overall, I have 2 Horz Pulling, 2 Horz Pushing, 3 Vert Pulling, and 2 Vert Pushing movements in total in the program. There are also 1 accessory for lats, biceps, triceps, and traps, and planks, and pallof presses to program. This just leads to small diffences in workouts. I could force them so only 2 differnt Full Body days, but I see no problems as it is.
What if I presented SS to you, but split Saturday to Sat Upper, Sun Lower, and Full Body Tue and Thur? That's all this is, with bit more volume and variety.