Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New workout
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:20 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I work out Monday, Wed, Friday
I do “big lifts” from the SL program on Monday and Fridays followed by complexes. On Wed I just do the complexes below with 30#.
Step up x 10
Low box squat x 10
OH press x 15
Bench press x15
Skull Crunchers x 15
Row x 15
Curl x 15
Followed by a 70# DL x 10

For my big lifts I start with a low weight high rep then add increments of 10-25# (depending on the lift. I try to do 3 or 4 sets with 3-5 reps, the last set I have a goal of increasing the weight I did in a prior session by 5#) I have added some of the recommended exercises for improving the squat depth.

What I am doing seems to be working I have been able to do 140 on the squat almost to my goal (but not low enough) and my bench press I did 80 today again almost to my goal. Groin pain is gone.

I have nothing to say about my OH press, I seem to be going down in weight so I just focus on low weight high reps and have given up trying to move up the weight.

bench 100
DL 175

Post subject: Re: New workout
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:16 pm 

Diana, you're great.

This is a bit of a different approach from straight SL, that may work better for you right now. So, you're doing all of the big lifts both days? I'm trying to recall details of previous threads, and I can't remember why you cut the big lifts from 3/wk to 2/wk, but I assume you had a good reason. It can be hard to determine what frequency is best for you, but ultimately you are the one who has to figure it out. You may find eventually that you can handle some lifts more often, and others less (i.e. bench 3 times, DL once, etc.) Sooner or later you will need to start splitting your routine, but until then keep hammering away.

On OH press, there are a couple of things you can try. One is staying high-volume for a while, then cycling the reps down and the weight up. Or switch to DB press, maybe one hand at a time. It makes it a bit of a different exercise, and may be a good change for a while. Or, you could go heavy one day, stay light and higher-volume the other day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:37 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
I can't remember why you cut the big lifts from 3/wk to 2/wk,
The change was due to lack of progress. I still stick with the SL routine of

A) Squat, OH Press, DL
B) Squat, Bench, Row

I find I make much better progress on the once per week for each lift. In reality I think what is happening is incorporating some of the advice from other threads and the complexes with light weight high reps, make a huge difference. I have been able to drop about 5 lbs while still increasing my lifting strength. I am also happier when I make progress and feel like I accomplish something when I am done.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:43 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Sounds darn good Diana. Good job. And if it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:43 am 
Novice
Novice

Diana, I like the look of that complex. I was about to put one together, but might just 'borrow' that setup and see how I go.

With the OH presses, have you considered changing to a push press for a few weeks, just to knead out any psychological factors about the recent drop in weight?

Congrats on your progress, I have been lurking on these forums for a couple of months before registering. Your determination is fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:36 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ausbris wrote:
Diana, I like the look of that complex. I was about to put one together, but might just 'borrow' that setup and see how I go.

With the OH presses, have you considered changing to a push press for a few weeks, just to knead out any psychological factors about the recent drop in weight?

Congrats on your progress, I have been lurking on these forums for a couple of months before registering. Your determination is fantastic!
It is a hard workout! I based it on things I needed to work on. My explosive power sucked as well as how deep I could go on my squat. This complex routine helps we work out those issues because I am using a lighter weight so it does double duty. I think I am also improving some of the weaker areas of my body that never got much of a chance to be used.

I have tried the push press works a little better but the OH press was bringing me down mentally. I still do it as part of the routine but try not to beat myself up over the fact I am going down and not up. Another great thing about the complex is I get a high rep low weight which I hope will one day improve my OH press.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:46 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

thumbs up.
Makes perfect sense and you like it so whats can be wrong.
Also, totally understand the needs for lighter, speed, athletic, work out the kinks sort of day between heavier days.
You know, for us older folks.