ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5/3/1 and supersetting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:00 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Lately, either due to restlessness or time constraints, I find myself doing some accessory work between the Big Lifts sets. On DL days, i've been doing 15-20 facepull reps, bench days its 5-7 pullups, press usually is between 8-12 lat raises, and on squat days sometimes ill do some calf raises.
I guess I'm tired of just pacing back and forth from the water fountain between sets. I have the book but don't see this covered. Is it, like i'd like to believe, no big deal, just a way of fitting more accessory work in or will I find out soon this is will prove a detriment to my progress. My apologies if supersetting isn't EXACTLY correct term but hopefully i explained myself adequately. Opinions, informed and otherwise, are all welcome.

thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

it's a great way to train, keep at it.

I used to like to do rows between sets of bench, and pull ups between sets of military press. It's called antagonist training I think. It's awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 pm 

If the 2 exercises that you are alternating are unrelated, some would call it "intersetting". Whatever you call it, I don't think it's a big deal. If it doesn't feel like it's interfering with your rest from the main exercise, I'd keep it up. I'm most likely to do the main exercises by themselves, and then superset accessory exercises. Some people plan their supersets with logical strategy in mind. I'm not that smart.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do intersetting all the time. For anything fast paced, it's a must. I only do straight sets if the protocol has longer rest periods.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I've only begun super/intra-setting or whatever it might be called, but am already happy with it.

My modest beginning is to do planks between sets of curls, and on another day planks between sets of lunges. Just seems a good way to pass the time. Right now I'm working up how to get in more pulling for my next cycle, which will almost certainly get supersetted with some small muscle exercise. Great way to keep the time moving and get more done.

I'm currently afraid to put anything in during rest on the main lifts, being horribly paranoid about upsetting the rest, but I'm sure I'll eventually get over it. :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:54 am 

I do it myself and I do it with most clients with a variety of goals. It's time efficient. I also do it with "fillers".

For example,

A1) Sumo Deadlifts, 5 x 3
A2) wall hip flexor mobilisation/wall slide/ankle mob/whatever needs work but won't interfere with rest. Normally 10-15 per side of whatever I decide.

So you're getting some healthy stuff in instead of standing around like a spare part but, not doing anything to screw up recovery.

Then on assistance it may be something like,

B1) Reverse Lunges 4 x 8
B2) Roll outs 4 x 10

If it's full body I tend to alternate upper and lower movements.

It's heavily influenced by Cressey. Definitely my preferred way to train. Sometimes when the gym is busy, it's not practical.

KPj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:25 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the help/opinions guys. I've found its a little easier to get in more volume doing this. I don't believe I'm pushing myself enough on these inter-sets to really cause any lapses with the big lifts. Of course I'll make the adjustments should I feel its becoming a detriment.