ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:03 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

In order to get a discount of Health Ind Premiums, I had a screening, which included a pin prick for blood tests, and a scale with some electronic foot pads for fat meaurement. So, we probably have some variance here.

Well, here are the results.

BP: 128/78, it was 120/90 earlier in yr
Total Cholesterol: 206
HDL: 32
LDL: 146
Triglycerides: 141
Blood Glucose, Fasting (9 hours): 110
Height: 6’ 3”
Weight w/clothes: 280.5
Waste: 47.5”
Fat %: 32.8
TBW ?: 138 lb

I’m on a race for Heart Disease or Diabetes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:24 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hey Oscar

You are headed in a good direction not sure how old you are but I know you are not as old as me so there is plenty of time! But a wise man once said “I don’t need your stinking support" so I will butt out :blackeye:

I know Dr. Oz worries more about the waste size but I forget what his formula is.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:25 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

well, it's not great, but it's not like you didn't know it already.

I think the main thing to think about is to just keep on doing what you're doing and use the results of that test as a reference point. Think about how good it'll feel this time next year when you're in way better shape. You'll look at those test results in a mixture of disbelief and pride (pride in what you've accomplished, not the test results).

You lost 16lbs last month, if you do that every month for the next year you'll weigh... about 90lbs. Ok so that example didn't really work but you know what I mean. Even if you only lost 8lbs a month for the next year you'd weigh about 200lbs, which for someone who's 6 foot 3 would be pretty damn healthy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just keep on trucking. Consistency is the key, as I'm sure you already know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 pm 

Why were they measuring your waste? I'd think that waist size would be much more significant, and much less unpleasant to measure. And 47 inches may be a record.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:02 pm 

Good job, by the way! Not the waste, but everything else. You are going in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I just saw a great quote that I think applies to you

Don't wait 'cause right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Dog or Mom whichever you prefer;-)

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:58 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Oscar_Actuary wrote:

Get a follow up screening from six months to a year from now. Odds are good that if you can get your "waste" under 40", your blood lipid profile will improve dramatically.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:42 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

thank you all for the encouragement

Seriously, means a lot.

My Life Ins is an old policy, when I get down to 260# range, I can get underwritten and save hundreds of $$$/yr.
So, all sorts of reasons to get on top of this.

Stephen, that is great to hear. More an more this site helps me to understand that excess body fat is not just a symptom but actually a cause for problems. Vicious cycle. Also explains why I should eat more strictly than someone with less body fat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:56 am 

HDL will improve/increase with body fat reduction. You may some short term decrease with calorie restriction, but low carb will increase HDL better than a low fat diet. Therefore, avoid being hungry for long periods and restrict carbs, not food. Exercise will also improve HDL. Triglycerides will improve with low carb. Double digit triglycerides are common among low-carbers. Yours are actually considered normal but there is still room for improvement. LDLs can go up and down for a number of reasons, not all bad. The test normally done is meaningless. If you see that your LDLs stay high, get a VAP test done.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Oscar_Actuary wrote:

I’m on a race for Diabetes?

Officially, two fasting glucose measurements of 126 confirms diabetes. But many health professionals consider a measurement under 100 as desireable, and over 100 as prediabetic.

But lifting weights will improve your insulin sensitivity, along with a lot of other nice health benefits:

Quote:
The major benefits of resistance training in individuals with diabetes are: 1) improved blood cholesterol profiles, 2) increased heart function, 3) decreased blood pressure, 4) improved insulin sensitivity and blood glucose control, 5) improved muscular strength, power, and endurance, and 6) increased bone strength (Soukup et al. 1994).

Two fairly recent studies by Eriksson and colleagues (1997) and Ishii and colleagues (1998) illustrate the benefits of strength training in the management of diabetes. In the study by Eriksson, eight participants who had Type II diabetes completed a 3-month progressive resistance program that consisted of two days a week of circuit weight training. One set of 15-20 reps was completed at each station with a 30-sec rest between stations. A variety of upper- and lower-body muscle groups were challenged. The researchers found that circuit weight training was responsible for improvements in blood glucose level control and that these improvements were significantly related to training-induced muscle hypertrophy. This study also showed that increases in muscle mass from strength training are important in the management of diabetes, as well as decreasing the risk for developing complications associated with diabetes.

In the study by Ishii and colleagues (1998), 17 individuals with Type II diabetes were placed into two groups: a strength-training group and sedentary control group. The training group participants were instructed to train five times per week for 4-6 weeks at workloads corresponding to 40-50% of their 1 rep max. Two sets of 10 repetitions for upper body muscles and two sets of 20 repetitions for lower body muscles were done using the following exercises: arm curl, military press, bench press, squats, knee extensions, heel raises, back extensions, and bent knee sit-up. The researchers reported that the rate of blood glucose entry into the working muscles increased after training. This study demonstrates that moderate-intensity, high volume training improved insulin sensitivity by 48% in these individuals.

Stu gave you good advice about avoiding excess carbs. Doing that and pumping iron will put diabetes in your rear view mirror.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
In order to get a discount of Health Ind Premiums, I had a screening, which included a pin prick for blood tests, and a scale with some electronic foot pads for fat meaurement. So, we probably have some variance here.

Here's what I would do if i were you Oscar first a few questions.

How do you feel about where your at?
Do you like the way you feel?
When you do the eyeball test do you pass or fail? What's the wife think?
What are your visual goals?

I would use these test results as a form of healthy motivation. I would set healthy goals and aim for them and bust my butt (not that you aren't) in an attempt to hit your goals.

Secondly if you failed the eyeball test figure out what it is you WANT to look like. Put pictures of what you want to look like up near your workout station.Or constant reminders that your goal is important to you and kill it. Have that be a visual motivation. It doesn't matter your age or height. Kick your ass and become awesome.

I know 280 at 6'3 isn't amazing but I can tell you for a fact its better than 330 at 6'3.
I commend everyone that busts there ass to get better. A lot of people don't. One reason I love this website mostly we are all like minded people. That's the end of my rant haha

John

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

horrible results this yr
I fasted for 19 hours after a major burger and fries binge.

Weight is up to 303
Scale Fat % says 38%.
Together those say I have less Lean Body Mass than last yr. That I would doubt; but I know a little fluctuation of the fat % on those scales is inevitable.
All of that is no surprise

What was a surprise:

BP: 159 / 79. :scratch: I have only tested it a couple times in 3 yrs and not since last yr. It's never been over 130. I'll be looking at that again later today, and more frequently. I'm not particularly stressed before the test.

Triglycerides: 254!. :eek: They have really shot back up. They were ovedr 200 18 yrs ago, and 141 last yr. That's the only data points I have.

LDL and HDL essentially the same as before LDL down 18, Total up 5, HDL no change.

What is the gap between HDL, LDL and Total.
32 + 128 <> 211.

My dad has better cholesteraol numbers than I, but otherwise, I dont recall. That is, I dont think I can blame genetics 100%.

Last yr, I had gone on a serious diet in October, losing 16 lbs. This fall, I've done nothing like that. Practically giving up on a weight loss contest with my dad. Who by the way has quit smoking for ~8 weeks now. So he wins either way.

When I revisit this thread http://www.exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7679
I see the genesis of the rationale I've had to keep eating. Even though several of you noted to clean up the diet, I just wanted to hear (do) the get stronger part. When I did go to far last yr and lose 16 pounds and 20 pounds off my squat, that further deterred me from focusing on calories.
I'm just a sorry undisciplined sap.

Lets see if these numbers wake me up.

The nurse who reviewed this with me did suggest I eat less sat fat and less eggs. And less fried foods. I nodded. :cussing:

Like Doc said it's a marathon.
But I need to be going in the right direction, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

just found this

now I see how the equation makes sense

Your LDL is computed by plugging the measurements for total cholesterol, HDL, and triglycerides into a: LDL = Total cholesterol – HDL – (Triglycerides ÷ 5)

interesting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm 

Last year I advised you to lower your carbs. Obviously you didn't do that since your triglycerides went up. You didn't give your waist or glucose readings. I'm assuming you don't want us to know.

You have to want to do this. You're not going to get out of this unless you make the effort.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

glucose 117

Waist: probably about the same based on pants. I do think I added mass to legs and arms and chest. Some muscle. Its essentially where it was pre-October 2011 diet.

I just left glucose off by accident.
I'm not trying to hide anything, clearly.

I really thought the mirror test was showing some recomp; of course, I knew there was still a lot of fat there. Clearly in my case any recomp would've shown clear improvement in waist line.