ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 am 

both my left and my right tensor fascia latae or satorius. I attempted to squat yesterday and planned on going light and deep while keeping form. I had only 225 on the bar and i went down and I felt restriction in my hips or what feels like my upper quads or hip flexors.

As I got about 90 degrees I felt a lot of tightness there and it wasn't a good tightness since I know how to listen to my body.

I believe this pain and tightness is a direct result of me listening to the wonderful advice on not collapsing my knees inward on the upward motion of my squat. I'm not being sarcastic here not at all. I just believe those muscles previously were under developed and not worked because my form was off. Now that I hit those muscles ridiculously good last week they are swollen...and I get stiffness there in my hips after any amount of time sitting down.

So instead of squatting I did isolation work which is gay. No offense to anyone. How do I stretch these muscles normal quad stretches do not stretch them and if I do work them like I did not a little over a week ago am I not going to be able to go deep in my squats because my hip muscles or upper quad area becomes overdeveloped? because thats what it felt like. Sorry this is so long winded but I'm a monster when it comes to me telling my body what it is going to do but when something says ok what you say doesn't matter it bothers me. ADVICE NEEDED!!! Thanks guys.

btw im on the horizon of awesomeness right now and I am excited :)

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Not really sure what went on, if it's bad pain, good pain, or whatever but, this is pretty much what you're asking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6OYuyYCxE

Also, get a pipe or foam roller in there. It's glorious.

KPj

EDIT: Should add - squeeze the glute hard when you're doing this, you'll understand why when you do it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I don't know much, but I'll see what I can say.

Quote:
I believe this pain and tightness is a direct result of me listening to the wonderful advice on not collapsing my knees inward on the upward motion of my squat. I'm not being sarcastic here not at all.
I think there is a connection. Practically when your knees go inward during squat, you are internally rotating your hips. Only a little, but still. And the tensor fascia latae actually does the inner rotation of the hip/thigh when your hip is flexed, aka when you are in the down part of your squatting. So I think you worked that muscle much more before, and it could be possible that it is now tense and thight. When you stopped doing it, there might be sartorius or quads pressing the tensor fascia latae, or something like that. Take those with a grain of salt, they are just quick theories.

Or you may overwork your sartorius, which does the external rotation of the hip. So you're now fighting for it to not happen, which activates the sartorius much more, thus causing the pain/swelling. There is a possibility the sartorius was more inactive before, when you did squats with a slight internal rotation. How bad is the swelling by the way?

Kpj:s video also shows a good stretch for the whole quadriceps muscle. When you extend the hip straight or a bit over when flexing your knee, you're also stretching the long part of the quadriceps muscle, (rectus femoris), which is the only part of quads that go over two joints (it's origo is in the ilium)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:16 pm 

KPj wrote:
Not really sure what went on, if it's bad pain, good pain, or whatever but, this is pretty much what you're asking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6OYuyYCxE

Also, get a pipe or foam roller in there. It's glorious.

KPj

EDIT: Should add - squeeze the glute hard when you're doing this, you'll understand why when you do it.

The pain was a bad pain the swelling was restricting my downbward descent then hurting. So i ditched squats for the day im sure next week i should be fine. Maybe i have a weakness that is now being targeted for growth and its experiencing doms like a little B!tch muscle or something. I WILL get over it.

when i get home later and am not at work ill watch the youtube video.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:56 pm 

Dub wrote:
I don't know much, but I'll see what I can say.

Quote:
I believe this pain and tightness is a direct result of me listening to the wonderful advice on not collapsing my knees inward on the upward motion of my squat. I'm not being sarcastic here not at all.
I think there is a connection. Practically when your knees go inward during squat, you are internally rotating your hips. Only a little, but still. And the tensor fascia latae actually does the inner rotation of the hip/thigh when your hip is flexed, aka when you are in the down part of your squatting. So I think you worked that muscle much more before, and it could be possible that it is now tense and thight. When you stopped doing it, there might be sartorius or quads pressing the tensor fascia latae, or something like that. Take those with a grain of salt, they are just quick theories.

Or you may overwork your sartorius, which does the external rotation of the hip. So you're now fighting for it to not happen, which activates the sartorius much more, thus causing the pain/swelling. There is a possibility the sartorius was more inactive before, when you did squats with a slight internal rotation. How bad is the swelling by the way?

Kpj:s video also shows a good stretch for the whole quadriceps muscle. When you extend the hip straight or a bit over when flexing your knee, you're also stretching the long part of the quadriceps muscle, (rectus femoris), which is the only part of quads that go over two joints (it's origo is in the ilium)

The swelling isnt really bad its just irritating. When i get up from sitting down at my lame ass desk job i get tightness in both hipflexors/upper quadriceps area walking eventually makes it pain free but with squatting while squatting the best way to explain it was almost like flexing your bicep and haveing someone put two fingers in there and you try to bring your hand as close to your shoulder a possible I just feel the swell not visibly obvious.

I believe the muscle will not be swollen here shortly as early as next week and that ill be able to squat again. My thoguth process is ill have this swelling for awhile until my muscles get used to me NOT collapsing my knees. I'm super pumped haha awesome times ahead.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

[quote="CorlessJohnJ"]
So instead of squatting I did isolation work which is gay. No offense to anyone. [/quote]

Hey if you don't want to offend use a different word

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Travis wrote:
CorlessJohnJ wrote:
So instead of squatting I did isolation work which is gay. No offense to anyone.

Hey if you don't want to offend use a different word

Accessory ?

Seriously, is it wrong that I presumed John was excusing himself from offending those that do isolation work, not those that enjoy same sex sex?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

no that would be fine... if they're gypsies wearing stolen goggles while pretending to look up a senoritas shorts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:16 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

heh, touche

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:29 pm 

Travis wrote:
no that would be fine... if they're gypsies wearing stolen goggles while pretending to look up a senoritas shorts

I don't get this.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:41 pm 

It's a series of references to previous posts.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:18 pm 

go to a sports store in the lacrosse section and get yourself a lacrosse ball for your TFL, quads, and hip flexors. You can use it on your chest too or anywhere else you can use it on. It is only a dollar something, very cheap. Also buy a golf ball too..I use those in between my shoulder blades and around the blades. You can also use a golf ball for certain parts of your TFL and hip flexor too. There are little tiny muscles that the lacrosse ball may be too big for to hit.