ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow progression
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:18 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

The whole idea of adding a small amount of weight with the strong lifts makes so much sense. It seems to me this idea should work with almost any exercise and not just the big lifts. That thought leaves me wondering why wall sits and my complexes aren’t getting any easier? Not that I mind I just figured at this point I should be able to wall sit longer and add reps to my complexes and the squating warm up would get easier.

bench 100
DL 175

Post subject: Re: Slow progression
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:24 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I think much is in our heads. For one thing, ever notice you feel full with a couple of bites of lasagna to go, pretty mcuh no matter what size it was. Sorta why folks eat more when using bigger plates. THe last few secs of your wall set seem just as tough because you’ve trained your brain to think “omg, I’m dieing, this is almost over”
Why do the first sets of my Back Squat ramping seem pretty tough, even if I’m going to be adding 40 lbs more before its over? I’m trying to understand this and break thru. I think one thing that helps is working the lighter sets explosively, that way, your body isn’t being programmed to think “grind these out”, like you do the heaviest sets.

Making any sense?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You cannot only progress by adding weight. You can progress by adding sets and reps as well - not to mention density via time factor.

All these are just tools - so deciding on only doing ONE when you have a whole box full of them is like using a tiny hammer to redo your entire home.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:03 am 

It actually could be a lot of things. You could simply not be trying as hard as you did when you started. I think most people get lazy in the effort on the aux work (I'm no exception).

Another thing, you simply could be plateauing. Try switching exercises for 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:43 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
It actually could be a lot of things. You could simply not be trying as hard as you did when you started. I think most people get lazy in the effort on the aux work (I'm no exception).
Please don't take my lack of posts lately to mean I am not as dedicated. I am. I still workout very hard and remain dedicated. I am starting a business and have no time to post.

I dislike the aux work!!!! It is not as easy for me but neither was lifting when I started.

Quote:
You cannot only progress by adding weight. You can progress by adding sets and reps as well - not to mention density via time factor.
I was not talking about adding weight but I would assume that a wall sit for 20sec would get easier if I do them 3x per week for 15 reps. I also would assume that my exercise to learn how to squat low would be getting better but it is not. One thing that has improved is my ability to do unilateral work.

I am getting worried because if I want to compete I have to be able to get a low squat and I am at a wall and no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to improve in this area. I just don’t know how to get over this hump in micro steps like you can with strength training or even dips where you can control the amount of resistance to build up slow.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:06 pm 

I didn't mean that you weren't dedicated. What tends to happen to me and so I project on others, is that I get lazy on my aux work. I'll go weeks without increasing the intensity of my aux work. Once I get to say 5 sets of 10 reps at 275 on board presses, I stay at that level for weeks, not wanting to add weight. I say to myself, it's only aux work. Consequently, I don't progress on my aux work.

After all, it's only aux work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The_dog_mom wrote:
I was not talking about adding weight but I would assume that a wall sit for 20sec would get easier if I do them 3x per week for 15 reps. I also would assume that my exercise to learn how to squat low would be getting better but it is not. One thing that has improved is my ability to do unilateral work.

I am getting worried because if I want to compete I have to be able to get a low squat and I am at a wall and no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to improve in this area. I just don’t know how to get over this hump in micro steps like you can with strength training or even dips where you can control the amount of resistance to build up slow.

Do you mean each rep is 20 seconds and you do 15 of these reps (15 x 20 = 300 seconds) for 3 total sets (300 x 3 = 900 seconds = 15 minutes)?

If that is the case, then thats overkill...to do that much 3x a week.

Have you looked into Mobility Drills for your hips and ankles and Glute Activation work?

Or am I still missing your point and what you are asking is how do you progress specifically on Wall Sits when you're doing them 3x a week for 3 sets of 15 reps with each rep being a 20 second hold? Is that the question?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:23 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

hoosegow wrote:

I wonder when added volume/intensity in the aux lifts is couter productive, and when its beneficial to the primary lifts and goals

This has always been a question for me, and tend to either lag the auxillaries, or, blindly push them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:06 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
hoosegow wrote:

I wonder when added volume/intensity in the aux lifts is couter productive, and when its beneficial to the primary lifts and goals

This has always been a question for me, and tend to either lag the auxiliaries, or, blindly push them.

I think you can make a case for taking them both ways. If you've been doing your accessories 5x10 for ever, switch to 8x3 real light for a while, and go for speed. Or push your 5x10 close to a 10RM for a while. Sometimes they can be active recovery, sometimes they can add strength, sometimes they can add power. If they are always easy, what's the point?

I was thinking today as I was doing press at about 60%, 8x3, that you really have to pay attention and work at keeping it challenging. When you're lifting 95%, you have little choice but try hard. But at 60% you could just drift along, and get nothing out of it. It takes real focus to push hard and fast on every rep at lighter weights.

Sorry, Diane, if this is thread hijack! If anyone wants to pursue this, we can make a new thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 am 

The_dog_mom wrote:
The whole idea of adding a small amount of weight with the strong lifts makes so much sense. It seems to me this idea should work with almost any exercise and not just the big lifts. That thought leaves me wondering why wall sits and my complexes aren’t getting any easier? Not that I mind I just figured at this point I should be able to wall sit longer and add reps to my complexes and the squating warm up would get easier.

Have you ever tried a will sit with ten lbs on your lap for maybe a few less seconds for maybe a week then the week after try it without?

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:15 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Sorry, Diane, if this is thread hijack! If anyone wants to pursue this, we can make a new thread.
I actually had the same question. I never mind hijacking I am always up for a good learn! Good discussions are never linear.

Quote:
Have you ever tried a will sit with ten lbs on your lap for maybe a few less seconds for maybe a week then the week after try it without?
Have not tried this but I will. Probably my greater concern is going through the exercises found on T nation to help get a lower squat and doing uni leg work, stretching and I am still not any closer to getting to the level I need to be at. Is it impossible for some people?

FYI the example of wall sits was an example I don't do them 3x per week.

I am still progressing on my big lifts I just wish I could go deeper on my squat.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:25 pm 

The_dog_mom wrote:
Quote:
I actually had the same question. I never mind hijacking I am always up for a good learn! Good discussions are never linear.

Quote:
Have not tried this but I will. Probably my greater concern is going through the exercises found on T nation to help get a lower squat and doing uni leg work, stretching and I am still not any closer to getting to the level I need to be at. Is it impossible for some people?

FYI the example of wall sits was an example I don't do them 3x per week.

I am still progressing on my big lifts I just wish I could go deeper on my squat.

Did you ever try body weight squats ass to the grass? alost like putting your ass on the top of your calves? Do you have a problem with flexibility or is it strength? Or fear?

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Did you ever try body weight squats ass to the grass? alost like putting your ass on the top of your calves? Do you have a problem with flexibility or is it strength? Or fear?
This is the exercise I have been trying to master. I don't think it is fear I fall back and have to hold onto the rack, I could stay that way all day as long as I hold on. I have had some help and the person has to hold me or I fall back. Not sure if it is strength, that is why I have been working with the box squat low weight high reps but I still lean forward for balance. I know the Smith is bad but I am wondering if this can help. This sounds stupid but I have a fuller butt could I have an imbalance?

I have been using this machinehttp://www.rtp-fitness.com/media/machine4.jpg (not my weights on the pic) and it seems to allow me to go deep so I don't think it is flexibility. I use it without any extra weight and it is hard but I go low. I was hoping that by using this machine in conjunction with the other things I am doing would give me some progress but nope! Perhaps I just don't bend that way?? Very frustrating.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:52 pm 

The_dog_mom wrote:
...but I still lean forward for balance....

This sounded odd to me. You have to lean forward a little in order for the bar to be over your feet. If you lean forward, can you get deep?

Also, how wide a stance do you use when you squat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:12 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I try all different ones to see if I can find my goove. I think on Friday i will grab the video so you guys can see.

bench 100
DL 175