ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Slow progression
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you can get a video, I would like to see one of you trying to squat deep, then seeing what breaks down. Although I understand you may not want to post a video of you falling over!

btw, any machine you use isn't really going to help. They take away the need for stability and, if I had to bet, I'd bet that lack of stability somewhere is what's restricting your squat.

I'm not a fan of wall sits to improve your squat. I've never understood the benefit of it. I think the wall takes away the need to sit back which what most people need to work on. You essentially press yourself against the wall with your quads. If you have quad dominance then this won't help.

Can you get into a deep squat position whilst lying on your back? For example, lay down on your back, put one arm under your lower back (to create a nice arch, like you want when you squat), then with the other hand, grab one of your knees and lift it towards your chest. Then try the other knee. If you can pull the knees up passed the hips then you have all the flexibility* you need and your issue is stability.

*this doesn't rule out the ankles, though, but that's easy enough to check.

Post subject: Re: Slow progression
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:35 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks!
Quote:
Can you get into a deep squat position whilst lying on your back? For example, lay down on your back, put one arm under your lower back (to create a nice arch, like you want when you squat), then with the other hand, grab one of your knees and lift it towards your chest. Then try the other knee. If you can pull the knees up passed the hips then you have all the flexibility* you need and your issue is stability.
I did and I can do this on my back. My right is a little less than the left but I can do it. I will post the video tomorrow and you can take a look.
I am worried about not making my competition goal because of this.

bench 100
DL 175