ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:42 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hi all,

I've got a new thing to over-analyze ! I bet you can't wait to hear about it :wink:

I would like to develop my grip work to a decent level, as well as being stronger than average I would like a grip which could be considered the same. I have never had a manual job (bar some very basic stuff like packing and loading vans as a teen short term) so even with my time using a bar/dumbell I am probably only on par with someone who has had to tighten bolts or repeatedly carry items that aren't very grip friendly.

So...

I was thinking of adding regular grip training to my week - but my question to you guys is how much and how often.

I've gone over the t-nation results (1,2,3,4), for grip and I definately like some of the exercises (plate pinching gave my forearms Doms for a couple of days which I never have)

But I wonder how many exercises and how many days this should be trained, should I just throw in 3-4 exercises in one session a week, a couple as accessory every session? - I will of course feel my way through to gauge how much "too much" is, but I like to compare my approach to the more experienced people here, or anyone for that matter who has the same goal.

Time for some fatgrips methinks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:33 am 
Novice
Novice

RobertB wrote:
Hi all,

I've got a new thing to over-analyze ! I bet you can't wait to hear about it :wink:

I would like to develop my grip work to a decent level, as well as being stronger than average I would like a grip which could be considered the same. I have never had a manual job (bar some very basic stuff like packing and loading vans as a teen short term) so even with my time using a bar/dumbell I am probably only on par with someone who has had to tighten bolts or repeatedly carry items that aren't very grip friendly.

So...

I was thinking of adding regular grip training to my week - but my question to you guys is how much and how often.

I've gone over the t-nation results , for grip and I definately like some of the exercises (plate pinching gave my forearms Doms for a couple of days which I never have)

But I wonder how many exercises and how many days this should be trained, should I just throw in 3-4 exercises in one session a week, a couple as accessory every session? - I will of course feel my way through to gauge how much "too much" is, but I like to compare my approach to the more experienced people here, or anyone for that matter who has the same goal.

Time for some fatgrips methinks

I play guitar, so in order to increase my grip strength and endurance, i've been doing some forearm stuff at the end of my upper day workouts for several months. I reckon that means i do grip work two or three times a week.

I tried wrist curls for awhile but didn't like them very much. I much prefer wrist rollers. I constructed my own wrist roller from simple materials. I could post a picture of it, if you like. In addition to the wrist rollers, i also have a pair of grippers that have helped me a lot. On occasion, i'll throw in some plate pinching, too.

Although my primary goal is to decrease the discomfort of playing barre chords, i've also noticed my grip usually doesn't give out before the target muscle when i do deadlifts, shrugs, pull-ups, and the like now.

Has anyone had any success doing pronations/supinations or radial/ulnar deviations with a unilaterally loaded dumbbell? I've tried it before but for whatever reason i just couldn't seem to make much happen. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, anyway. Some of you might think i'm an idiot to do any forearm isolation at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 am 
Rookie
Rookie

There are lots of approaches to grip strength. I feel direct forearm work has its place, but I like doing regular lifts with something that challenges the grip,, like using a fat bar, wrapping a towel over the bar, doing deadlifts with overhand grip instead of hooked,etc. I am working on a deadlift/back training book and have been studying Goerner lately. He did one hand deads, 1 finger,2 finger, thumbless grip deads regularly. He did a 1 hand deadlift with over 700 lbs. He did little if any direct forearm work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 am 

Christianiron.com wrote:
There are lots of approaches to grip strength. I feel direct forearm work has its place, but I like doing regular lifts with something that challenges the grip,, like using a fat bar, wrapping a towel over the bar, doing deadlifts with overhand grip instead of hooked,etc. I am working on a deadlift/back training book and have been studying Goerner lately. He did one hand deads, 1 finger,2 finger, thumbless grip deads regularly. He did a 1 hand deadlift with over 700 lbs. He did little if any direct forearm work.

alright....so him jesus and zeus invented weight training huh? haha jk jk but that guy must have been ginormous!! That is some awesome stuff.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I used to think forearm work related to strange isolation exercises but I definately think even hypertrophy relates to grip work rather than crap like reverse curls. I've ordered some grippers but understand they are only part of the picture. I think I'll try towel pullups along with plate pinches, use my grippers and yea.. the varied deadlifts sound good.

oh and commodiusvicus - it's ok, the t-nation has the "make your own roller" section so no need to clarify, does seem like a good idea - might have to start filling my work gym with all sorts of weird contraptions :)