ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diana Videos
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:57 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Here are my videos. I am linking to several so you guys can see where I may need help and where it falls apart.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDianaBoos?feature=mhee#p/u/6/DpTAZT3AAMA Uni leg work
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDianaBoos?feature=mhee#p/u/5/dZPSVsx5Jhgass to the grass front/rear
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDianaBoos?feature=mhee#p/u/4/bYyCjjxp9osass to the grass side (you can see I can't get up)
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDianaBoos?feature=mhee#p/u/3/4eW-AFtf7XUJust the bar but going as low as I can go
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDianaBoos?feature=mhee#p/u/3/4eW-AFtf7XU side view
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDianaBoos?feature=mhee#p/u/3/4eW-AFtf7XU95 load
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDianaBoos?feature=mhee#p/u/3/4eW-AFtf7XU105 load

Thanks!

bench 100
DL 175

Post subject: Re: Diana Videos
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:27 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I only have time for a quick reply so will get back over the weekend but, this is very fixable. It's definitely a stability issue.

Couple of random rushed points...

-In the other thread you mention couldn't pull the right knee as high as the left. I'd bet the quad and/or hip flexor on that side could need stretched. Try a side lying quad stretch really squeezing the glute on the same side, and compare to the left side. If it's drastically easier on the left, then stretch the right side every day. If you get nothing, look up "wall hip flexor mobilisation". This will be part of the reason why you shift to one side.

-You're being pulled forward in your squat with the quads. Your not getting the glutes and hamstrings to do what they're supposed to. You need to get way back on the heels and really spread your knees apart and open up the groin. Grip the floor with your feet like you're trying to pick up a basketball with each foot, then break the floor apart hard. It should feel completely different. If you watch your legs from the feet to knees you will see what I mean - when the arcs cave in the glutes are switching off... basically.... You can see this even more on the single leg video. It looks like you're trying consciously to push the hips back at the start but as soon as you descent, your weight shifts forward.

-It is definitely stability related, basically your body puts the breaks on how far you go down to stop you falling over.

-Did you ever try "squat to stand" i think Stuward linked to it ina previous thread?

-What if anything do you do for you abs/anterior core?

-related to last point, have you tried Goblet squats?

I'll post back, this was rushed so hope it doesn't sound too critical, discovering your weaknesses is a good thing as this is the first step to getting even stronger. I think we should be able to nail down a few things to work on and progress with. From the last thread it sounded like you may be overcomplicating - easy done, i'm the worlds worse!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:14 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

the last 5 links are identical

I'll learn from this thread too. I have to think hard to stay upright when doing static squats. I'm not even comfortable enough to put a leg up on bench

I hope at your age, I'm still feeding myself.
Keep up the good work

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:39 am 

Clint, you can see all her videos on the facebook page.

Diana, the ATG squat was informative. You found out what you can't do. Notice that your back was rounded when your were down since you were holding the uprights. You were probably leaning back too. Your glutes were basically eliminated from assisting in getting up from that position when they should have been the main driver. All you had to use were your knees which weren't strong enough. The squat to stand with overhead reach drill, forces your back into the proper arch and your glutes will be able to be utilized to their fullest. In all of your squats you seem to be missing the contribution from the glutes.

With the empty bar you're not going as deep as when you have the bar loaded. It's also interesting that when you got to your low point, your hip moved to the right. It seems that your right hip is asleep. Likewise, when you got stuck in the low squat, you used your left leg to get out of it. Single leg glute bridges make help you reactivate your right glute.
http://bretcontreras.com/2011/03/abc-si ... p-thrusts/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:35 am 

1. You are not going low enough.
2. You are torquing a little bit
3. You form is a hell of a lot better than 90% of the crap I see in the gym.
4. The worst part was the music.

I like Kenny's suggetion of using the Goblet squat. I was going to suggest the Zercher squat. I did the Zercher squat for about two months as an aux lift. It really helped me to stop falling forward.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 am 

In your supported "third-world" squats, you are reaching way out to the sides to support yourself. That's forcing your scapulae apart, rather than together. Squat in front of a single support, like just one post of the rack, so your hands are together. Then concentrate on pulling the scapulae back and together while you push your stomach out into a "Buddha Belly" and Dan John says. Then keep your knees lined up with the toes.

I'm seeing the sitting back a little differently. I think you are trying so hard to sit back and keep your weight on your heels that you are tending to fall back, and are flexing your spine to shift your center of gravity forward (moving your head and shoulders forward) to keep from falling over backwards. The center of gravity has to be over the center of your foot. Keep enough weight on your heels so that you aren't rocking up on your toes (which a lot of beginners do), but focus on keeping your shoulders back, belly out, L-spine arched and your body between your legs. Vertical shins are for later. For now, allow the front of your knees to be over your toes. That will help you stay balanced with out surrendering your arch. Remember that your body is slung between your femurs, not resting on top of them. Let your body go between your legs in the hole. Consciously push your knees apart and your feet apart as you come up.

You can also try starting from a box. Find a box that is low enough to put you slightly below parallel. Sit on the box (no weight at first), arrange your feet and knees, make sure your L-spine is arched, shoulders back, belly out, chest up. Hinge forward at the hips enough that you can get your center of gravity over your feet, and push up with your knees and hips, again pushing out with your knees and feet. After you can do the concentric consistently from below parallel, then add in the eccentric. Try to land in the same spot on the box that you started from. When you can do that consistently, then start stringing the reps together. Then start adding weight, probably goblet hold at first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:06 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
-What if anything do you do for you abs/anterior core?
-related to last point, have you tried Goblet squats?
I do planks now and then. I always heard crunches were bad so I am not sure what else to do?

RE Goblet Squats: I can only do 40# with goblet squats so I stopped unable to progress due to limitation of holding the dumbbell.

Several of you mentioned glutes not being properly engaged does this mean I need glute work or need to work on engaging them? I am not sure how this can happen when I can DL very well and I think that uses the posterior chain so why won't they work on the squat?

Doc I will try you suggestions
Quote:
Single leg glute bridges make help you reactivate your right glute.
Those look hard but I will try them.

These comments lead me to a couple of questions:

Should I continue squatting and increasing the weight or skip that and focus on form for now until I can go deep?
AB exercises?

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 pm 

Do the drills we spoke of during the warmup. Do the Single leg glute bridges with your shoulders and foot on the ground. Do the shoulders and feet on the bench only when you're strong enough.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 pm 

Squat BW or light load until your form improves. Don't worry, you'll get your strength back very quickly later.

Ab exercises
Planks are very good. You can weight them.
Pallof "presses" are great. Lots of YouTube videos re these.
"Core" articles by Mike Robertson, like this one No, the article is not the ab exercise. You have to read the article and do the exercises he tells about in it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:26 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Doc Wrote: In your supported "third-world" squats, you are reaching way out to the sides to support yourself. That's forcing your scapulae apart, rather than together. Squat in front of a single support, like just one post of the rack, so your hands are together. Then concentrate on pulling the scapulae back and together while you push your stomach out into a "Buddha Belly" and Dan John says. Then keep your knees lined up with the toes.
Well I tried this and I feel a lot of strain on my ankles, it is much more uncomfortable. I was able to get up driving from my heels with assistance of the pole (much easier than before) I would like to know how to progress with this?

My uni leg work as bad as it is, is getting better. I never used to be able to do one leg squats without holding a pole in front of me.

bench 100
DL 175