ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:58 pm 

how do you do straight leg single leg deadlift with correct form and force your waist to bend keeping your leg straight and force the torso to stay steady? I have tried those before and my hamstring flexibility/bend at the waist flexibility limits me and also when I try standing on my right leg, my torso wants to turn a little. Got to figure out how to relax these hamstrings and force my waist to go down.

Question about the roll, stretch, and strengthen someone mentioned on here....Any idea how long I should actually be on each muscle rolling before going right into stretching to get the benefit? I am asking because I feel like I take too long when I roll and I do not want to be in the gym forever. and I like to massage using movement (moving my legs or arm when on the muscle knot) keeping the ball in the same place until it releases and then find another knot spot and repeat. and then massage up and down. This process takes a while and I want to see if I can decrease the time in doing it if there is a better and faster way to do this while keeping either the same results or even better results.

What I own: foam roller, golf ball (I use it to get in little muscles like between the shoulder blades and around the blade (a lot of tension there and the rhomboids are known for making my back feel stiff..evil muscle), rumble roller, lacrosse ball (gets the knot better than a tennis ball), and a theracane.

I want to be able to do the rolling, stretching, and strengthen (activation)...and my lifting workout in about an hour. That is my goal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:57 am 

Monica, why are you doing straight leg deadlifts? They're more a hamstring stretch than an exercise. Bend the knee slightly and you'll get more range of motion in the hip.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Rik-Blades wrote:
Thanks for that. Yes, thats a good que and it works for me.

I'm starting to get these, begining to stay on my leg without falling sideways now. It stretches the hammie on the leg i'm standing on like hell. I'm guessing I need to keep the weight on my heel, right? I'm finding that difficult because of my hamstring tightness, but i'll keep at it.

Just asking, how many sets/reps for each leg? I've been doing about 6 sets of 6 reps for each.

Rik

See what Stuward said - Keep a "soft" knee, slightly bent, this should ease the hamstring a little.

Yes, weight on heel but if you really focus on that rear leg, this should just happen without giving it much thought. You may not have great ROM at first but, it'll come. When you feel your weight shift forward, just come back up, even if you're only bending forward 45degrees or so. If you do the movement correctly, even over a limited ROM but, pushing the ROM a little whilst fighting the urge to fall forward, then it should start to improve very quickly.

The key to getting this is frequency. I just put it in warm ups for ONE set of 10-15 reps per leg. 1 set of 10 reps every day will see much more improvement than 7 sets of 10 reps once per week. You're basically re grooving motor patterns. Kind of like learning some music if you play anything. Anyone that plays anything will probably agree that 10 mins practice per day is far more productive than 70 mins once per week.

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:51 am 

caangelxox wrote:
I want to be able to do the rolling, stretching, and strengthen (activation)...and my lifting workout in about an hour. That is my goal.

Roll quickly, stretch briefly*, and warm up efficiently. This can be done in 10-15mins.

It's easy to spend an eternity rolling because you will never get all the knots out in one go. If you are stuck for time, it wouldn't hurt to just leave out foam rolling and do it "on the side" when you're at home or whatever. If you are going to do it, then just go over the key areas i.e. I tend to just quickly roll itband/quads/hipflexors, posterior shoulder, then do a couple of stretches. I may even just leave out the stretches. If i'm really stuck for time I leave out all foam rolling, all stretching, and just do a quick dynamic warm up.

I would suggest you decide how long your actual training will take then see what you have left. If it takes 45 mins then you have 15 mins to play with at the beginning. In which case you should be able to quickly foam roll 3-4 different areas (give it 5 mins), do 1-2 stretches (2mins) and around 8 dynamic movements (8mins, at most, depending on the movements).

*You probably don't need much stretching, assumption is based on your gender. If you're restricted it's probably a lack of strength/stability that's causing it. Not always the case but it almost always is.

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

KPj wrote:
Rik-Blades wrote:
Thanks for that. Yes, thats a good que and it works for me.

I'm starting to get these, begining to stay on my leg without falling sideways now. It stretches the hammie on the leg i'm standing on like hell. I'm guessing I need to keep the weight on my heel, right? I'm finding that difficult because of my hamstring tightness, but i'll keep at it.

Just asking, how many sets/reps for each leg? I've been doing about 6 sets of 6 reps for each.

Rik

See what Stuward said - Keep a "soft" knee, slightly bent, this should ease the hamstring a little.

Yes, weight on heel but if you really focus on that rear leg, this should just happen without giving it much thought. You may not have great ROM at first but, it'll come. When you feel your weight shift forward, just come back up, even if you're only bending forward 45degrees or so. If you do the movement correctly, even over a limited ROM but, pushing the ROM a little whilst fighting the urge to fall forward, then it should start to improve very quickly.

The key to getting this is frequency. I just put it in warm ups for ONE set of 10-15 reps per leg. 1 set of 10 reps every day will see much more improvement than 7 sets of 10 reps once per week. You're basically re grooving motor patterns. Kind of like learning some music if you play anything. Anyone that plays anything will probably agree that 10 mins practice per day is far more productive than 70 mins once per week.

KPj

Cool, got that. Thanks again :cheers: