ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

1) is this true that one should never fully relax shoulders during pullups (even on the bottom position)?

2) when doing deadlift should I have my shoulders directly above or 2-3 inches in front of the bar?

3) when doing deadlifts should i retract my shoulder blades only during last portion of the movement?

4) do I need to stick the chest out during the whole chest dip movement?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

For one I can't say a straight answer. You will lose tension and the tightness of your body if you let yourself go long so to speak, and raise your scapula and shoulders. On the other hand, in example when you're doing pulldowns, the depression movement is very clear on the start of the movement, if you pull it from far enough distance. Maybe it's good for the lower part of trapezius, I can't tell for sure.

In 2 however, for what I've read and experimented, it's better to keep your scapulas over the bar at the starting position. So your shoulders are in front of the bar. I think it's much better form when executed like that, but there are different sides also. I see it as a matter of balance and leverage, for me it's a bit easier.

3, I'd say yes. I tend to push my chest out at the end of the movement, thus adducting the scapulas. When you think about it, it is easier to maintain a slight arch on your back when you adduct your scapulas. your back might go round if you don't push your chest out.

To fourth I won't say much, cause I haven't been self-experimenting on the dip so much yet, but yes, it seems logical.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:11 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

fqqs wrote:
2) when doing deadlift should I have my shoulders directly above or 2-3 inches in front of the bar?

Scaps directly over the bar, so yes shoulders slightly in front.

When you start pulling 400lbs+, you'll notice you have no choice in the matter :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:24 pm 

Regarding deadlift, I agree with both Dub and Rik. No matter what you try to do, no matter how strong you are, no matter how you set up, once the bar is off the floor, it will go directly under your scaps, so you might as well put it there from set-up on. Once you've deadlifted for a while, you won't even think about this, though. It will all be instinctive.

On chins, there should be some tension at both shoulders and elbows at the bottom. It takes some practice to be fully extended without just hanging from your bones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:29 pm 

fqqs wrote:
3) when doing deadlifts should i retract my shoulder blades only during last portion of the movement?

I would suggest that if you can retract your shoulders at any other time, you don't have enough weight on the bar.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley