ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

what do you think about this chest/shoulders workout ?

chest dips (heavy) 4x6
db flys 4x10
military press strict form 4x6

is that enough for chest development?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

it's not what I would do, but I guess it'd work. You'd be better doing:

dips
incline dumbell press
flyes

that'll work loads better. And just so you know, military press will NOT build up your chest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

robertscott wrote:
it's not what I would do, but I guess it'd work. You'd be better doing:

dips
incline dumbell press
flyes

that'll work loads better. And just so you know, military press will NOT build up your chest.

ok so:

(chest&shoulders&tricep day)

chest dips 4x6
military press 4x6
incline db press 4x10
flyes 4x10
skullcrushers 6,8,10,12

(military press & dips hit shoulders)

?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

As robert said, i wouldnt do this but i also hate flyes (sp?).

if youre gonna do a bodybuilding type routine for chest i'd rotate dips, db press, db incline, and db decline, and if you like flyes, keep those too ohp/military works the upper pecs but they assist the delts, so dont expect to get modest gains in the chest from that.

But really this is so far removed from what i'd do i'm just reverting back to tried and true methods for hypertropy. high volume with 4-6 sets @ 8-12 reps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:54 pm 

fqqs wrote:

(chest&shoulders&tricep day)

chest dips 4x6
military press 4x6
incline db press 4x10
flyes 4x10
skullcrushers 6,8,10,12

(military press & dips hit shoulders)

?

yup, that'll work fine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 pm 

fqqs wrote:
what do you think about this chest/shoulders workout ?

I'm not a fan of pairing them as much, but DC guys do...

It isn't outrageous at all, I just prefer shoulders paired with back or by themselves.

hey, you asked what I think, lol.

Quote:
is that enough for chest development?

Before the question can be answered, I need to know what you considered "developed".

fqqs wrote:
chest dips 4x6
military press 4x6
incline db press 4x10
flyes 4x10
skullcrushers 6,8,10,12

To be honest, I think you are going to end up with top notch tris, that over shadow flat delts and won't be happy with your chest development with this.

BUT, with that said, it is going to depend on your diet, genetics and what you considered developed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 pm 

woah I missed that last time, is that all you're doing for your shoulders?

If you are training a bodypart split then I'd give shoulders a day on their own. Military press on its own isn't enough. You need to hammer your lateral and rear delts.

I actually haven't done an overhead press in months and my shoulders have never looked better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Before I add my two cents in, consider the shoulder articulations that the pecs play the dominant role:

Transverse Flexion

Transverse Adduction

In both instances, the pecs draw the upper arms closer together, horizontally to the midline of the torso

Quite frankly, any pressing movement that keeps the hands locked in the same position isn't going to fully work the pecs. The anterior deltoids will do most of the work in the bottom third of the movement while the triceps will do most of the work in the top third. Relatively few people fail in the middle of a lift - it's usually at the bottom or the top. Their chests aren't being fully worked, even if their upper body pushing power increases.

Dumbbell presses are the only way that I know to get around this for compound lifts. And while flies are often maligned, Eddie Robinson - who was a powerlifter that benched over 600 pounds before he switched to bodybuilding - used them to bring up his chest up to pro level. Of course, Robinson did flies with heavier weights than most people can press.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:

I actually haven't done an overhead press in months and my shoulders have never looked better.

HERESY!!!!!!!!!

To be honest though I am putting more body builder style accessory for my delts and it has helped a fair amount

But I wuv my ohps :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:13 am 

RobertB wrote:
robertscott wrote:

HERESY!!!!!!!!!

To be honest though I am putting more body builder style accessory for my delts and it has helped a fair amount

But I wuv my ohps :)

I love to OHP too, but had to drop it because it hurt my back. To be honest though, I'm not sure if I'll ever bother adding it back in. A good looking set of shoulders is all about developing your lateral and posterior delts. OHP never did anything for me except build my anterior delts, which are way ahead of my lat and post delts anyhow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:27 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Seeing as this has drifted over to delts and OHP, just my .02 on this. One of the best ideas of getting the shoulders up to par was from Doc Squat, where you use DB's, starting with DB's at shoulder level, and pressed up ONLY to head level. Says that's where tri'c kick in, so why not just focus on the delt's with an overload, and stop there. Also, I've found this hits all delts better with a palms facing (semi-supinated) grip.
, EDIT, this part left out, elbows flared out to side at right angles to forward.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:33 pm 

hmm interesting, my anterior delts are wayy bigger and can do with freezing while the rest of my delts catch up. It would feel wrong to not do an overhead press though, I dunno. I suppose an incline pressing movement would give them enough work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:42 pm 

TimD wrote:
Seeing as this has drifted over to delts and OHP, just my .02 on this. One of the best ideas of getting the shoulders up to par was from Doc Squat, where you use DB's, starting with DB's at shoulder level, and pressed up ONLY to head level. Says that's where tri'c kick in, so why not just focus on the delt's with an overload, and stop there. Also, I've found this hits all delts better with a palms facing (semi-supinated) grip.
, EDIT, this part left out, elbows flared out to side at right angles to forward.

that's the only press I'd ever really do now; a dumbell press with elbows flared and a short ROM. I still think though that it's too much anterior delt and nowhere near enough of the other heads.

Obviously everyone's different and I'm sure others can build some meaty delts with a dumbell press, unfortunately I'll never be one of them. I'm raises all the way from now on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:49 am 
former lurker

I have to agree Bad. Must be underlying issues there. Kinda strange to replace an offensive coordinator when your quarterback just won the superbowl. Gotta be other issues since Grubb says he has known for 6 weeks that he was out of a job.

I think Grubb will end up back at Hendrick.

I think is is highly possible that Addington and Stewart will work well together... but still tough for Grubb.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:46 am 

rs4you wrote:
I have to agree Bad. Must be underlying issues there. Kinda strange to replace an offensive coordinator when your quarterback just won the superbowl. Gotta be other issues since Grubb says he has known for 6 weeks that he was out of a job.

I think Grubb will end up back at Hendrick.

I think is is highly possible that Addington and Stewart will work well together... but still tough for Grubb.

bewildering, but amusing in a strange sort of way.