ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Body Fat %
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:33 am 

johnbu1981 wrote:

-What % of body fat does the typical male need to get down to to start seeing a six pack; too look really cut basically?

Well, to be honest there is no set number that is going to correlate to everyone. Someone mentioned 15%, and that is probably true depending on a few things...

How much muscle mass you are carrying is going to have a large effect on this figure. Someone who is 6'0" 220lbs at 15% is going to look leaner than someone 6'0" 180lbs at 15%. The less muscle you have the more someone will just look emaciated at low bodyfat levels. If you have bones visibly protruding, like a rib, you're doing it wrong, lol.

So, what I'm saying is, the more muscle you have, the leaner you'll look at higher BF %, and the less muscle you have the lower your BF% will have to be to have the look you are looking for.

The other factor at play here is your genetics. There are people with "visible" abs upwards of 18%... It depends on where you store your fat, muscle belly, muscle shape and a whole host fo other things.

Look, bottom line, use the mirror test to determine how you are doing rather than the calipers and reacting trying to hit a specific number. Focusing on a number is a waste of time, focus on the look you are going for and let the number fall where ever it may.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:39 pm 

Actually studies have shown if you do moderate intensity cardio you burn fat more.

Meaning run for a longer time at a lower intensity. I used to think HIIT was the way but I learn as I go.

Your body uses fat carbohydrates and rarely protein to create enerygy or ATP. If you go hard aka fast HIIT you are hitting the substrate carbohydrate using that to create energy. If you go slower for a longer period of time you will burn fat.

Everyone wants the quick fix . Most people think whatever, a calorie is a calorie im gonna do HIIT regardless cover more ground burn more calories do more work. If your tone or six pack is worth your time slow it down and go the distance take time out and focus on running for awhile at moderate pace so that you will utilize fat for energy production.

I researched this while going to school wrote papers and a did final exam on kinesiology 101 and 102. Not saying I have credentials but I'm going by what I have been TAUGHT. Hope I helped.

I'm not an expert and most of us on here are not. If you really want to know ask a Dr in kinesiology or physiology.

John Corless

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:34 pm 

John, don't say "studies show" unless you can show the studies.

Burning a higher percentage of fat during the exercise is not the same as reducing body fat the most. You have to consider what happens after the workout is over.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm 

stuward wrote:
John, don't say "studies show" unless you can show the studies.

Burning a higher percentage of fat during the exercise is not the same as reducing body fat the most. You have to consider what happens after the workout is over.

Will do stu. Thanks.

John

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:44 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm about the same stats as the OP, 6ft 200 lbs, and I've had my BF% measured with calipers (11%), in the pod (19%) and with the scales (3 different % from 34% to 15%). Suffice it to say, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in BF% measurements. If you like what you see in the mirror, good work. Otherwise eat right and exercise smart.

P.S. I can see my abs most days, other days I have to suck them in. :red:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Well, it looks liek we have a lot of varying opinions of what is the "truth".

I'm going to stick with my plan of doing HIIT once a week, and LIIT (did I just create a new acronym??) 3x a week after my weightlifting.

I'm glad to get some confirmation that the caliper test isn't that accurate...when I look in the mirrow I look closer to 20% than 10%. I'm probably right in the middle there, but as we all know it's those last few pounds of fat that are the hardest to lose.

Thanks for everyone's input and I will update with my progress. I have a basketball game tonight, so that will be my HIIT for the week :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:24 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you probably aren't being literal but if a basketball game is your HIIT, you either play like the tazmanian devil, or you have a lot differnt idea of what HIIT is than I do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:31 pm 

Actually sports like basketball, with a lot of stopping and starting are good ways of burning off fat. You have intense periods of sprinting randomly mixed in with rest periods, all the while doing something that actually takes your mind off of the actual exercise.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
you probably aren't being literal but if a basketball game is your HIIT, you either play like the tazmanian devil, or you have a lot differnt idea of what HIIT is than I do.

I was being 100% literal. How exactly is basketball, and yes I'm playing full court, not HIIT?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:41 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

when do you go all out (sprint top speed) for more than 4-5 seconds?
Generally, you run or trot, but not at top speed

It's a great activity as Stu says

I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

basketball has bouts of sprinting, mixed with bouts of jogging and resting. It's most definitely HIIT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:36 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Neither Charles Barkley or Shaquille O'Neill would be mistaken for a waif runway model.

Playing basketball won't get rid of excess bodyfat if you keep sabotaging your efforts with your mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:21 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Neither Charles Barkley or Shaquille O'Neill would be mistaken for a waif runway model.

Playing basketball won't get rid of excess bodyfat if you keep sabotaging your efforts with your mouth.

It really comes down to genetics. I wouldn't consider Shaq or Barkeley fat during their playing days, although they definitely are now that they are retired.

Burning the amount of calories you burn while playing basketball makes it extremely hard to keep weight on period, much less excess body fat.

I doubt many full time basketball players have to watch what they eat in order to maintain their six pack.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
when do you go all out (sprint top speed) for more than 4-5 seconds?
Generally, you run or trot, but not at top speed

It's a great activity as Stu says

I could be wrong.

There is a lot more to it than just running up and down the court. Side to side movements, boxing out, jumping all contribute to the HIIT.

It sounds like you just aren't familiar with the sport. I used to think wrestling was more of a strength sport until I started doing it...boy was I wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

johnbu1981 wrote:
It sounds like you just aren't familiar with the sport.

never heard of it

We'll agree to disagree
Your definition of what constitutes going all out 100% is looser than mine.