ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I still consider myself a fitness noob. Totally, my main skills are in the non-physical activity department. I learned a great deal when I was doing well with diet and exercise last year. But I like said in another thread, it's time and I am back in the saddle again.

So I figure for the first month I am going to do full body style workouts and then decide if I want to split it out like I did last year or just keep it the same.

Bear in mind, that I am avoiding going to a gym and at home I have a bench, dumbells and a power tower with an assist platform (I don't think I've ever been able to do a pull up, to I want to do that eventually).

Goals -- Weight Loss, reduce body fat, improve aerobic performance and strength gain.

Here it is.

Central to my program is diet. Eventually get down to 2300 calories a day.

Cardio -- 4 on 1 off, 3 on 1 off, repeat.. (Get up to about an hour a day) abs after cardio -- knee raises, crunches or something

Weight training: Every other day is the goal, but at a minimum 3 days a week. Basically this is the ExRx program for full body push/pull with deadlift

These three have very light loads 5 - 10 lbs for hands until I figure out form, etc.
Deadlift - pick dumbells up off the floor or some low surface
DB Squat - Dumbells held next to head on shoulders
DB Straight leg deadlift

DB Bench Press
Lat Raise
Single leg calf raise (BW at first, then hold on to dumbbell)
DB bent over row
Dips (assisted) or triceps extension of some kind
DB Curls

Right, so this will be the welcome back program for the first month, then I'll adjust either to a split or maybe just stick with this for another month.

If I split it out I might go to the gym twice a week... kind of hesitant to do that since now I can be at home with my family and maybe set some good bits in my daughter's head about this through example.

I'll start logging it again in the forum, but the weights are going to be dinky. Like I inferred earlier, my upper body is trained to use a keyboard/mouse, PS3 controller, work on electronics and some gardening.

Thanks for looking,
Neal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 pm 

Neal, I just saw your post in your journal. It looks like you have some motivation issues. Why don't you try for some achievable short range goal that requires concentration, skill and fitness, something that will keep you moving forward? Then you can try a new goal after that. The most important thing is to stay consistent and build some good habits so don't get discouraged if you have to backtrack a little before you start improving some.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:43 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah Stu, I agree with the goals point. This time around as I am getting reacquainted with this I decided to go the one week at a time route. I've done it before so I know what is involved, it was just hard to get restarted earnestly in december, the whole house was sick then the holidays, then sick over the holidays, etc.

What I noted in the journal, that I did not expect this time around was a bit of a exertion wall on the second day during cardio. Rome wasn't built in a day and I remember when I first started this out back the 09ish timeframe I was phasing in, but then I was in really bad shape... couldn't finish a decent amount of time in a bike, etc. So I think as far as the first few weeks goes, I am going to think on my feet and go with how I feel until I get to where I am not hitting some wall after half an hour.

Tomorrow morning when I get up, I will hit the cardio and lift my weights at night when I get home. I'm on swing shifts this week. So I end up lifting at around midnight. Which is another reason why this week was a good week to pick it backup. The fixed work time structure helps out a lot in planning the day.

Bottom line is I just have to do it, for my family and myself.

Thanks,
Neal