ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minimalist Training
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:53 am 
Novice
Novice

What's your take on a person conventional deadlifting for legs and just leaving it at that? Workouts are becoming so complicated and I'm ready to pick one lift for my legs and let mother nature decide the strength ratio of my lower body muscles.

Post subject: Re: Minimalist Training
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:11 am 

I think if you just want to do 1 lower body exercise, then trap bar (or dumbbell) deadlifts would be the best. When the bar is in front of your legs, as in a deadlift, the focus is on the posterior muscles. If it's behind your legs, as in a hack squat, the focus is on the anterior muscles. The trap bar (or dumbbells) centers the weight over the heels and gives a more balanced lift. It's probably not as good as doing both deadlifts and squats, but as a compromise, it would be my choice. A powerlifting (or box squat) style of squat would also do the job since the weight is back further than in other squatting styles.

By the way, letting "mother nature" decide the strength ratios will usually lead to imbalances, unless you truly train the way "mother nature" intended. Unless you follow a paleo re-creationist type approach, you won't be able to do this yourself. Search of MovNat for more details.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I would also add some back squats or box squats to that and then be happy. Also I would rotate some deadlift variations to bring more variety and focus on different muscles (Rack Pulls, Snatch-grips, maybe single-leg or RDL).
But no doubt, doing only deadlifts will too develop your lower body muscles, and back also.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ever tried goblet squats? I've been doing them and i think they're great http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... squats_101

Hopefully someone more experienced will confirm this but you could probably get away with just doing those and deadlifts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm 

Goblet squats are great but are hard to get heavy enough to really work the legs. They're ideal for learning the movement. Likewise, overhead squats are great for training the movement but the limiting factor is everything except the legs. They're great as everyday warmup type exercises though.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Dub wrote:
I would also add some back squats or box squats to that and then be happy. Also I would rotate some deadlift variations to bring more variety and focus on different muscles (Rack Pulls, Snatch-grips, maybe single-leg or RDL).
But no doubt, doing only deadlifts will too develop your lower body muscles, and back also.

he's looking for simplicity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Dub wrote:

he's looking for simplicity.

Doing two or three exercises on a workout is simple. Especially when one of the exercises is the same exercise but with a different method. If that's not simple I would just run around in a circle with additional increasing ankle weight or weight vests.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:54 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Dub wrote:
Doing two or three exercises on a workout is simple. Especially when one of the exercises is the same exercise but with a different method. If that's not simple I would just run around in a circle with additional increasing ankle weight or weight vests.

obtuse much?

He suggested one movement.
You are giving him a list that leads to several possible combinations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
obtuse much?
He suggested one movement.
You are giving him a list that leads to several possible combinations.

Not too fond of reading with thought yourself are you?
Nah, I kid.

Anyway, my point was that I wouldn't personally rely on just deadlifts to build my legs. Sure, it would do something, but in the end you need more than just the same stimulation, like variations or then you could just squat once in a while. Deadlifts are an universal move no doubt, but you shouldn't do just that for the sake of it. It's like doing only bench press for the upper body workout.

I Personally Would Add atleast Squats to the mix.

If one really is calling two exercise-routine complicated one's just lazy. Or possibly some kind of primeape.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:40 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Dub wrote:
Not too fond of reading with thought yourself are you?
Nah, I kid.

Anyway, my point was that I wouldn't personally rely on ...

And my point is that he's not asking what you would do to work out legs given 3 exercises.

:cyclopsani:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:49 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
And my point is that he's not asking what you would do to work out legs given 3 exercises.

And my point is the following:

See direct quote from BlazingAirMAx: "What's your take on a person conventional deadlifting for legs and just leaving it at that?"

My take on that was the following: No, I think doing only deadlifts as a lower body exercise is enough. I think you shouldn't (especially when lifter isn't too experienced) just do one exercise. My take is that you should add squats to fill the routine. And now when I think about it, Front Squats. Because of Quads.

End of point. Not arguing this further.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

I know that if your hamstrings are weak relative to the quads then it can predispose you to injury, but is the reverse also possible (quads weak relative to hams leading to injury)? Jungledoc? Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:01 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Dub wrote:
See direct quote from BlazingAirMAx: "What's your take on a person conventional deadlifting for legs and just leaving it at that?"

My take on that was the following: No, I think doing only deadlifts as a lower body exercise is enough. I think you shouldn't (especially when lifter isn't too experienced) just do one exercise. My take is that you should add squats to fill the routine. And now when I think about it, Front Squats. Because of Quads.

Yeah, you're right.

What you got against Glute Thrusts? I like those.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
What you got against Glute Thrusts? I like those.

Nothing much, I haven't really tried those properly to form any kind of solid opinion. However Deadlifts do work on glutes quite alot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:54 pm 

I think it would be OK to have one lower-body lift at a time, but I wouldn't just do one indefinitely. DL for a few weeks, then do some squat variation for a few weeks, etc.

DiFranco has a routine for older lifters that he calls "Westside for Burned Out Meatheads" in which he advocates just choosing between squats and DL, and just sticking with that. Still, I'd want to switch once in a while.