ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minimalist Training
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:42 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

just doing one leg exercise is dumb. At the very least you should deadlift and squat and leave it at that, but even that's lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:51 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
What's your take on a person conventional deadlifting for legs and just leaving it at that? Workouts are becoming so complicated and I'm ready to pick one lift for my legs and let mother nature decide the strength ratio of my lower body muscles.

Most of the complication in workouts stem from upper body exercises. Some people will do endless variations of bench presses and curls, then throw in a few sets of leg presses at the end.

The legs and hips make up more than half of a person's musculature. It's not unreasonable to do at least two exercises for these critical bodyparts per workout.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:33 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

robertscott wrote:
just doing one leg exercise is dumb. At the very least you should deadlift and squat and leave it at that, but even that's lazy.

That's lazy? That's what I do. What else do you suggest I include? Some one-legged work, such as lunges?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:06 pm 

I would always put another hip/hamstring move in there.

Maybe that just me. I try and hit my posterior chain with twice as much volume as I do quad stuff. Single leg stuff couldn't hurt but I have to admit I don't like it very much.

If you're only doing two leg exercises, how long do your workouts take? 20 mins? You could easily do something else

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

rs,
who's doing just legs ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:13 am 
Novice
Novice

robertscott wrote:

It's not about laziness, it's about efficency. If the gains in strength aren't going to be that much more with one exercises, verses 2, I'd rather use one exercises and reduce my training time and stress. I lift for strength, not for mass.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 am 

Your primary goal should be injury prevention, not strength. However, for both goals, it would be more efficient to alternate squats and deadlifts than to do just one exercise.

Assuming you want to workout twice a week, you could squat, bench & row in 1 workout, deadlift, pull up and press in the other. 1/2 hour twice a week and you're done. Then you can focus the rest of your time on sprinting or whatever.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
rs,
who's doing just legs ?

anyone with decent legs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 am 

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
robertscott wrote:

It's not about laziness, it's about efficency. If the gains in strength aren't going to be that much more with one exercises, verses 2, I'd rather use one exercises and reduce my training time and stress. I lift for strength, not for mass.

the gains will be much more doing both than just doing one. Squat AND deadlift. Whether you're training for strength or mass (it always makes me laugh when people make that distinction) you need to do both.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
rs,
who's doing just legs ?

anyone with decent legs

Who on this thread, specifically the OP says he was only doing legs in a workout?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:00 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
robertscott wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
rs,
who's doing just legs ?

anyone with decent legs

Who on this thread, specifically the OP says he was only doing legs in a workout?

meh, relax big guy, let's not get too bogged down in incidentals. The fact of the matter is one leg exercise ain't enough, whether he's doing full body, upper/lower, bodypart split or whatever

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:12 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
meh, relax big guy, let's not get too bogged down in incidentals. The fact of the matter is one leg exercise ain't enough, whether he's doing full body, upper/lower, bodypart split or whatever

just trying to call you out on the assertion that someone was lazy for doing squats and deads on same day, or one leg exercise in a full body day.. You like to let folks know what the right amount of variety is, too much or too little.

:joker:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm 

but I DO think that only doing one leg exercise is lazy, regardless of the training split!

He does too little, you do too much. Won't anyone please find a happy medium!?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

robertscott wrote:
BlazingAirMAx wrote:
robertscott wrote:

the gains will be much more doing both than just doing one. Squat AND deadlift. Whether you're training for strength or mass (it always makes me laugh when people make that distinction) you need to do both.

News Flash, Muscle Fiber Recruitment!!!! You don't have to gain mass to get stronger. It's not always about looking good on the bench. Why do you think most powerlifters are fat-ass athletes? They don't stimulate mass with their high intensity workouts and all the ones a know eat like pigs. Powerlifters pound for pound are stronger than bodybuilders.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:35 pm 

you really think that powerlifters don't "stimulate mass"? What a strange thing to say. Powerlifters carry a ludicrous amount of muscle mass. They use it to lift really heavy weights.

And before you start talking about neural adaptation or type II muscles fibers or radical sarcoplasmic hypertrophy or whatever else you read on the internet somewhere, the fact of it is: to lift big heavy weights you need big muscles. Now go squat!

I look great on the bench

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next