ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

Here is a routine that the NSCA recommended for advanced power athletes. It comes from their strength training book published in 2007. It seems to be a bit much but then again it's the NSCA
It does changed the reps and intensity every 6-8weeks, but you get the idea.

Days 1&3
back squat 5x 4-6RM
Deadlift 5x4-6RM
seated leg curl 3x4-6RM
Lat pulldown 5x4-6RM
seated cable row 5x4-6RM
dumbbel biceps curl 3x4-6RM
BB bicep curl 3x4-6RM
Backextension 3x25
crunches 3x30

Days 2&4
Power clean 4x4-6RM
Bench Press 4x4-6RM
incline bench 5x4-6RM
Push Press 5x4-6
DB upright row 4x4-6
Lying tricept 3x4-6RM
Assisted Dips 3x4-6RM
sit-up 3x30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@BlazingAirMAx:

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
Here is a routine that the NSCA recommended for advanced power athletes. It comes from their strength training book published in 2007. It seems to be a bit much but then again it's the NSCA
It does changed the reps and intensity every 6-8weeks, but you get the idea.

Days 1&3
back squat 5x 4-6RM
Deadlift 5x4-6RM
seated leg curl 3x4-6RM
Lat pulldown 5x4-6RM
seated cable row 5x4-6RM
dumbbel biceps curl 3x4-6RM
BB bicep curl 3x4-6RM
Backextension 3x25
crunches 3x30

Days 2&4
Power clean 4x4-6RM
Bench Press 4x4-6RM
incline bench 5x4-6RM
Push Press 5x4-6
DB upright row 4x4-6
Lying tricept 3x4-6RM
Assisted Dips 3x4-6RM
sit-up 3x30

Doing power cleans the day after squatting, deadlifting and pulling seems a bit much to me - your back (especially your lower back) might not have recovered. Maybe you could sub the cleans for deadlifts in one of your two "A" workouts.

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 pm 

I'm surprised that NSCA is publishing something that still recommends crunches!

If there is an "advanced power athlete" who has the time for this, well, maybe. Off season.

There's something here for everyone--big compounds, isolation, 2 kinds of curls for the body builders in the crowd. Amazing. No chinups!

The problem with this sort of thing is, IMHO, that the average gym rat who considers himself advanced will jump on this. I doubt that they'd stick with it for more than a couple of weeks, though. Either fatigue or injuries will make him move on to the next amazing thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:10 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I'm surprised that NSCA is publishing something that still recommends crunches!

If there is an "advanced power athlete" who has the time for this, well, maybe. Off season.

There's something here for everyone--big compounds, isolation, 2 kinds of curls for the body builders in the crowd. Amazing. No chinups!

The problem with this sort of thing is, IMHO, that the average gym rat who considers himself advanced will jump on this. I doubt that they'd stick with it for more than a couple of weeks, though. Either fatigue or injuries will make him move on to the next amazing thing.

IMO the NSCA is pretty much a joke anymore. That's why I was considering not renewing my CSCS. I went ahead and renewed it though.

Those workouts look terrible. BB bicep curls? After db curls? And, who does push press after bench and incline? Laughable. I would consider myself an advanced power athlete, and there is no way I could handle all that volume.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 pm 

I think that CSCS still carries some authority, at least in many people's perception. It's probably a good thing for your business for you to keep it.

Lat pulldowns, even. Shouldn't an advanced any kind of athlete be able to do pull ups?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 pm 

Another thing. Blazing, this is pretty far from your expressed desire to do "minimalist training"!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
Another thing. Blazing, this is pretty far from your expressed desire to do "minimalist training"!

I know, that's why I don't do it. The volume seemed way to much, but then again, I've never tried something this heavy before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:49 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I think that CSCS still carries some authority, at least in many people's perception. It's probably a good thing for your business for you to keep it.

Yep, that's the reason why I renewed it. Even though the test itself is a joke. We'll put it this way, I passed that test while still a junior in my undergrad. So, technically, I was a CSCS at that time.

Jungledoc wrote:
Lat pulldowns, even. Shouldn't an advanced any kind of athlete be able to do pull ups?

Football Lineman and Throwers on the track team struggle with them. Even at the D1 and Pro level. But, most can at least do a few. After that, we use a band.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 am 
Novice
Novice

Jason Nunn wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

Yep, that's the reason why I renewed it. Even though the test itself is a joke. We'll put it this way, I passed that test while still a junior in my undergrad. So, technically, I was a CSCS at that time.

Jungledoc wrote:

Football Lineman and Throwers on the track team struggle with them. Even at the D1 and Pro level. But, most can at least do a few. After that, we use a band.

This program was just a guide; I'm sure one could sub in pull ups if they are stronge enough to execute them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:08 pm 

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
this program was just a guide; I'm sure one could sub in pull ups if they are stronge enough to execute them.

It's published by the organization that presents itself as the final authority on all things strength and conditioning. If they are going to publish a cookie-cutter workout, it should at least be a reasonable routine for the target audience.

Of course you can sub in pullups. And take out useless and redundant exercises. And the harmful ones. It was published in this century, for goodness sakes. It's not like this was state of the art, even in 2007.